Page 1 of 1

Feature Request / Wish List

Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:30 pm
by Froggie
You probably knew I'd get here eventually :geek: I looked through the Forums and didn't see such a thread so I'll start this one (if it's OK) :?:

I would love to see an option in the general product (.INI?) to configure PHYlock so that its CACHE may be placed on any partition in the system. In order to insure the consistency of an "All Sector" partition image, PHYlock's cache must be OFF that partition. The current DEFAULT (without changing the DEFAULT settings) is to create the cache in RAM. This is fine as long as you have enough RAM to insure file structure activity while the LIVE image is being taken... but many systems do not have enough RAM. Of course if you're imaging the entire disk, RAM really is your only option. But if you're not, being able to direct PHYlock to cache its LIVE activity OFF of the imaged volume(s) would guarantee a file structure inconsistency free restoration.

Thank you for this consideration...

Re: Feature Request / Wish List

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:15 pm
by TeraByte Support
I think the default to use RAM was used so it didn't alter the drive - but
even if using that drive, I think it will skip those sectors and the state
will be before that file is created.

"Froggie" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

You probably knew I'd get here eventually

![:geek:]({SMILIES_PATH}/icon_e_geek.gif)

I looked through the Forums and didn't see such a thread so I'll start this
one (if it's OK)

![:?:]({SMILIES_PATH}/icon_question.gif)

I would love to see an option in the general product (.INI?) to configure
PHYlock so that its CACHE may be placed on any partition in the system. In
order to insure the consistency of an "All Sector" partition image,
PHYlock's cache must be OFF that partition. The current DEFAULT (without
changing the DEFAULT settings) is to create the cache in RAM. This is fine
as long as you have enough RAM to insure file structure activity while the
LIVE image is being taken... but many systems do not have enough RAM. Of
course if you're imaging the entire disk, RAM really is your only option.
But if you're not, being able to direct PHYlock to cache its LIVE activity
OFF of the imaged volume(s) would guarantee a file structure inconsistency
free restoration.

Thank you for this consideration...


Re: Feature Request / Wish List

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:50 pm
by Froggie
The "I think it will skip those sectors" doesn't sound real positive to me :lol: ... can you get a definitive answer about that?

I'll give it all a try anyway... hoping the above is correct. Thanks for the help, David!


TeraByte Support wrote:
> I think the default to use RAM was used so it didn't alter the drive - but
>
> even if using that drive, I think it will skip those sectors and the state
>
> will be before that file is created.
>
> "Froggie" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> You probably knew I'd get here eventually
>
> ![:geek:]({SMILIES_PATH}/icon_e_geek.gif)
>
> I looked through the Forums and didn't see such a thread so I'll start this
>
> one (if it's OK)
>
> ![:?:]({SMILIES_PATH}/icon_question.gif)
>
> I would love to see an option in the general product (.INI?) to configure
> PHYlock so that its CACHE may be placed on any partition in the system. In
>
> order to insure the consistency of an "All Sector" partition image,
> PHYlock's cache must be OFF that partition. The current DEFAULT (without
> changing the DEFAULT settings) is to create the cache in RAM. This is fine
>
> as long as you have enough RAM to insure file structure activity while the
>
> LIVE image is being taken... but many systems do not have enough RAM. Of
> course if you're imaging the entire disk, RAM really is your only option.
> But if you're not, being able to direct PHYlock to cache its LIVE activity
>
> OFF of the imaged volume(s) would guarantee a file structure inconsistency
>
> free restoration.
>
> Thank you for this consideration...

Re: Feature Request / Wish List

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:16 pm
by DrTeeth
On Sun, 17 May 2015 16:30:01 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Froggie disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Thank you for this consideration...

If you want to use RAM, I can tell you how to do it, but it will be a
kludge. You will have to install another version of Windows (you may
be able to do this if you install IfL). In that other version of
windows, install IfW and then backup your wanted windows partition,
that way RAM *will* be used.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** You've never known happiness until you're married;
** but by then it is too late.