Imaging Windows 7 with a Hidden 'System' Partition
Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:21 pm
Hi,
I just got a new computer. It came with Windows 7 pre-installed by the computer manufacturer. I have no previous experience in using Windows 7 (just arrived there after years of WinXP).
In the pre-install setup the first three partitions on the hard-drive are as follows:
Partition 1: 'Hidden' 8.30 GB (Recovery Partition) - (no file-system information shown for this partition)
Partition 2: 'Hidden' 300 MB (System, Active, Primary Partition) NTFS
Partition 3: Windows 7 (C:) 100 GB (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) NTFS
Can someone answer the following questions for these partitions.
1) When I make an image of my system which of these partitions do I need to image to have fully functioning capability of recovering my system?
2) Does the data in Partition 2 change in any way if I make changes to Partition 3 by way of the files it holds? What I'm getting at is, is it possible to make an image of Partition 2 once and thereafter only make images of Partition 3 (the content of which I will certainly be altering in the furture) but still be able to fully recover my system? (I hope you can see what I'm getting at here.)
I just got a new computer. It came with Windows 7 pre-installed by the computer manufacturer. I have no previous experience in using Windows 7 (just arrived there after years of WinXP).
In the pre-install setup the first three partitions on the hard-drive are as follows:
Partition 1: 'Hidden' 8.30 GB (Recovery Partition) - (no file-system information shown for this partition)
Partition 2: 'Hidden' 300 MB (System, Active, Primary Partition) NTFS
Partition 3: Windows 7 (C:) 100 GB (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) NTFS
Can someone answer the following questions for these partitions.
1) When I make an image of my system which of these partitions do I need to image to have fully functioning capability of recovering my system?
2) Does the data in Partition 2 change in any way if I make changes to Partition 3 by way of the files it holds? What I'm getting at is, is it possible to make an image of Partition 2 once and thereafter only make images of Partition 3 (the content of which I will certainly be altering in the furture) but still be able to fully recover my system? (I hope you can see what I'm getting at here.)