Windows Boot Failure
Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:00 am
I'll be brief. I had an issue arise today and want to know how to prevent it in the future, and to know it's origin. The problem is solved on my own, but don't want it again for risk of data corruption.
My system was working fine as it was - Win 7, 64 Bit, English, SP1 with IFW 2.94 and a modified Recovery Environment using IFW. In addition, my system uses Intel Rapid Start Technology - iastora.sys
System was fine, but then I installed the newest IFW release 2.95 - I installed over my existing installation and made no other changes. I rebooted! Then that is when my machine had the BSOD
It would blue screen with starting windows normally, safe mode, as well as trying repairing the computer option. System would hang forever when trying to use last known good configuration. It failed with BSOD with iastora.sys
I've always had problems with IFW and Intel RST being compatible and booting up not seeing the SATA drive being accelerated by Intel. However, my system was working, while accelerated, but destroyed after installing the new version.
I could find nothing to recover my system until I REMOVED the MSATA card from my machine - then on booting I got the Intel RST Control Panel (CTRL + I) and was able to remove the acceleration option, my system booted fine and I reset/re-enabled the acceleration.
Then I used IFW 2.95 and told it to again modify the boot recovery environment.
Then my system was fine.
Question then is, why did installing 2.95 over 2.94 destroy things to the point of all options BSOD?
I really hate the risks and complications of Intel RST technology, but it does work for speed purposes. I used to have to disable all acceleration even to chkdsk the root drive being accelerated, but now it's fine under UEFI at least.
So why did it happen in the first place and how to prevent it from happening again?
Suggestions?
My system was working fine as it was - Win 7, 64 Bit, English, SP1 with IFW 2.94 and a modified Recovery Environment using IFW. In addition, my system uses Intel Rapid Start Technology - iastora.sys
System was fine, but then I installed the newest IFW release 2.95 - I installed over my existing installation and made no other changes. I rebooted! Then that is when my machine had the BSOD
It would blue screen with starting windows normally, safe mode, as well as trying repairing the computer option. System would hang forever when trying to use last known good configuration. It failed with BSOD with iastora.sys
I've always had problems with IFW and Intel RST being compatible and booting up not seeing the SATA drive being accelerated by Intel. However, my system was working, while accelerated, but destroyed after installing the new version.
I could find nothing to recover my system until I REMOVED the MSATA card from my machine - then on booting I got the Intel RST Control Panel (CTRL + I) and was able to remove the acceleration option, my system booted fine and I reset/re-enabled the acceleration.
Then I used IFW 2.95 and told it to again modify the boot recovery environment.
Then my system was fine.
Question then is, why did installing 2.95 over 2.94 destroy things to the point of all options BSOD?
I really hate the risks and complications of Intel RST technology, but it does work for speed purposes. I used to have to disable all acceleration even to chkdsk the root drive being accelerated, but now it's fine under UEFI at least.
So why did it happen in the first place and how to prevent it from happening again?
Suggestions?