Page 1 of 1

Clone VM to new SSD

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:02 am
by highend
Hi,

I have a Hyper-V virtual machine with a Windows 7 installation (with all MS updates).
It's a one partition only setup (32 GB (32768 MB) primary partition).

I want to transfer this installation to a new notebook that has a new 250 GB SSD (no partitions on it) inside.

The source 32 GB partition should be resized to 64 GB on the destination SSD. I will add a second primary partition on that manually afterwards (for data storage).
Ofc I need to use TBOSDT from my IFL boot cd to remove all existing drivers that are installed in the VM partition.
I'll mount the folder where I put the backup of the source partition from inside the IFL cd and restore the image from there (so that I don't need to create partitions on the SSD first and copy the image onto the second partition).

Which options do I need to set for the cloning process (backup + restore) to:
- Set the target partition to 64 GB (or better 65536 MB)
- Only transfer the used space of the source partition (about 18 GB out of 32 GB)

- Align this partition correctly on the destination SSD
- Make the destination partition active and bootable

I'd like to get it right on the first try instead of missing an option and have to redo the cloning process :)

Tia,
Highend

Re: Clone VM to new SSD

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:00 am
by Eric
You could use directly tbidtool for that (it is available in the IFL boot disc), and then resize your Windows 7 partition to 64 GB.