New hard drive - best way to clone
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:49 am
Hi
I have a 1TB 5400rpm that I'm upgrading to a new 1TB 7200rpm
The drive has 3 partitions (W7 system partition and 2 non-system partitions)
I want to just duplicate the whole drive to the new drive so I can boot up and look like nothing has changed at all even though it's a totally new drive.
So my plan is:
1) Remove the old hard drive from the PC and replace it with the new unformatted hard drive.
2) Put the old hard drive in a usb enclosure, connect it to the PC, and then boot IFD
3) Use IFD to do a raw sector-by-sector copy of the old drive from the USB to the new system drive.
4) Reboot with the new drive and everything is good?
So is this the best way to do it? Any issues I should know about if I do it this way? Or is there a better way?
Please let me know, thanks.
I have a 1TB 5400rpm that I'm upgrading to a new 1TB 7200rpm
The drive has 3 partitions (W7 system partition and 2 non-system partitions)
I want to just duplicate the whole drive to the new drive so I can boot up and look like nothing has changed at all even though it's a totally new drive.
So my plan is:
1) Remove the old hard drive from the PC and replace it with the new unformatted hard drive.
2) Put the old hard drive in a usb enclosure, connect it to the PC, and then boot IFD
3) Use IFD to do a raw sector-by-sector copy of the old drive from the USB to the new system drive.
4) Reboot with the new drive and everything is good?
So is this the best way to do it? Any issues I should know about if I do it this way? Or is there a better way?
Please let me know, thanks.