New System
Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:20 pm
My previous laptop died...sort of. It still boots, but it crashes and powers off after a few minutes. I bought a new
laptop...ASUS. I hope it is a good choice; I heard it is a good brand. One review I read said that it was 3rd best in 2014
behind Apple and Leveno.
The new system has 1TB drive with 5 partitions.
EFI System 100MB
Recovery 900MB
Recovery 20.01GB
Data (D:) 537.80
OS (C:) 372.60
Here is a map of the drive layout.
EFI System - Recovery (900MB) - C: - D: - Recovery (20.01GB)
Only C: and D: are visible in Windows Explorer. I assume D: for for my personal files. It appears to be empty. I am
planning to use this partition to keep extra copies of my IFL images.
EFI, I believe, is for the Secure Boot feature. I am running Windows 8.1 64bit. I doen't understand why the 2 recovery
partitions? Can someone shed some light on this?
I am planning to image all partitions, except Data. If I ever have a drive failure and need to replace the drive, can I
restore the partitions and then create the D: partition between the C: and 20GB Recover afterwards or will I need to
image the D: partition as well?
I probably won't need to image the 2 Recovery partitions and D: partition regularly since the data in them won't change.
What about the EFI System partition; do I need to image it on a regular basis with the C:? Does the EFI partition data
change? This is my first system with Secure Boot (EFI)?
Also, I have a multiboot flash drive (YUMI) with various utilities on it, including IFL. The only way for me to boot it is
to go into BIOS disable Secure Boot and enable CSM. Is there an easier way?
One more question, when I put my laptop in sleep mode, my USB devices (cooler and mouse) don't power off. I have to unplug
them. I read that there is a setting in the BIOS, but don't know what to look for. I also read that some motherboards
don't allow you to disable it.
I am sorry to pose so many questions, but did not know where to get answers. I figured I would a quicker response here
than from ASUS. Thanks in advance.
laptop...ASUS. I hope it is a good choice; I heard it is a good brand. One review I read said that it was 3rd best in 2014
behind Apple and Leveno.
The new system has 1TB drive with 5 partitions.
EFI System 100MB
Recovery 900MB
Recovery 20.01GB
Data (D:) 537.80
OS (C:) 372.60
Here is a map of the drive layout.
EFI System - Recovery (900MB) - C: - D: - Recovery (20.01GB)
Only C: and D: are visible in Windows Explorer. I assume D: for for my personal files. It appears to be empty. I am
planning to use this partition to keep extra copies of my IFL images.
EFI, I believe, is for the Secure Boot feature. I am running Windows 8.1 64bit. I doen't understand why the 2 recovery
partitions? Can someone shed some light on this?
I am planning to image all partitions, except Data. If I ever have a drive failure and need to replace the drive, can I
restore the partitions and then create the D: partition between the C: and 20GB Recover afterwards or will I need to
image the D: partition as well?
I probably won't need to image the 2 Recovery partitions and D: partition regularly since the data in them won't change.
What about the EFI System partition; do I need to image it on a regular basis with the C:? Does the EFI partition data
change? This is my first system with Secure Boot (EFI)?
Also, I have a multiboot flash drive (YUMI) with various utilities on it, including IFL. The only way for me to boot it is
to go into BIOS disable Secure Boot and enable CSM. Is there an easier way?
One more question, when I put my laptop in sleep mode, my USB devices (cooler and mouse) don't power off. I have to unplug
them. I read that there is a setting in the BIOS, but don't know what to look for. I also read that some motherboards
don't allow you to disable it.
I am sorry to pose so many questions, but did not know where to get answers. I figured I would a quicker response here
than from ASUS. Thanks in advance.