Page 1 of 1
How to restore to SSD and bootable??
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:15 am
by pyrotech
My situation:
I've got a new Dell PC with a 1 TB hard drive. It has 3 partions [dell][recovery][os]. It is Win 7 x64 and I have installed programs and data thus far. I would like to replace the HDD with a 240GB SSD.
I've used IFW for years with not a problem. So that's they way I am trying to do the transfer. My full backup went well, as expected. I did Compact, and Shrink the [os] partition so it would fit on the smaller target drive. The Restore went well, but when I try to boot the new drive, it goes into windows 'recovery'. It never recovers from that.
Any ideas out there for me? Am I barking up the wrong tree by using IFW. Would CopyWipe work?
I've been at it all weekend and I am stumped.
Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:32 am
by Brian K
pyrotech,
Is Win7 or Recovery the Active partition?
Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:09 am
by pyrotech
Recovery is the Active partition on my source disk and my target disk. I've never had a Dell before, they aren't quite standard. While trying to get it to boot, I changed the active partition to the [os] partion and got a message there were no boot files.
Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:49 am
by Brian K
That's fine, the Recovery partition is Active in most Win7 Dells.
What you did sounds fine. How did you use IFW for the restore? TBWinRE? TBWinPE? Single partitions or Entire drive restore?
Can you check BCD Edit in BIBM?
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=492
Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:38 pm
by pyrotech
Thanks for your help.
I restored from IFW, I used a usb to sata adapter cable, so that the SSD was not the boot drive.
I did not try BIBM, however I will this afternoon. I'll be back with the results.
Thanks again for your guidance.
Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:41 pm
by Brian K
pyrotech,
If BCD Edit doesn't fix it, try this. I always have the new drive mounted internally and a restore always works. I've never seen a TeraByte restore failure.
Remove the 1 TB HD and install the SSD. Restore using IFW, IFL or IFD. You can reinstall the 1 TB HD later (if desired), after the SSD is booting Win7 normally.
Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:32 am
by pyrotech
I will try the sata connection opposed to usb. I'm suspecting maybe I made the backup with the wrong options checked. I haven't used IFW in a couple of years, things change. I will make a project of the manual. Man, I used to be so smart...
Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:48 am
by Brian K
Are you using the latest IFW? Ver 2.92.
Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:26 am
by pyrotech
I'm using v2.90.
Could that be a problem?
Re: How to restore to SSD and bootable??
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:43 am
by pyrotech
Just upgraded to v2.92 and am trying it again.
Re-reading the manual, I've got a question. I Compact the large partion, but then must I Resize it also?