Just do an entire drive backup and restore. Consider running fsck -f on
your unmounted partitions before the next backup to ensure all areas are
correctly marked as used. For windows, chkdsk /f. However moving the
Windows 7 partition up and down in the mbr details isn't going to change
anything, so by doing that and it booting makes no sense. Also, if you had
installed BootIt and then started messing with other things where there is
an EMBR and the EMBR and MBR are out of sync, then your backup is going to
be based on the EMBR and may be relating to older partitions which were
overwritten by allowing other things to change it and then not booting back
to BootIt to clean it up. The programs will have an out of sync message
when showing the drives when MBR and EMBR are out of sync.
For full drive backup, you just choose it and save to the target drive.
Just use the default of a single file.
"DELTA624826" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
Apologies for the time lag. GRANCHILDEN.....
SOMEWHERE in my situation I have "gone wrong" with in the IMAGE or the
RESTORE.
My goal is to be able to restore multiple OS partitions onto one physical
drive (and they run again).
This is for FUN, I am retired.
I have no problem restoring individual files
Thus far, I have IMAGED with multiple files. This could be the problem.
IMAGE has failed (more than once) to do a "single file IMAGE" of the entire
physical drive. (SYS, W7, LINUX, LINUX SWAP, DATA).
SYS, W7, and DATA are NTFS. LINUX and SWAP are the appropriate file
structures.
When the Linux partition was imaged, it booted from the following menu specs
Linux
Linux SWAP
DATA
Boot from LINUX.
The failed RESTORE'd partition had an identical MENU.
ZERO problem booting before. Partition WAS "Bootable". It was installed
after BOOTIT into that LINUX partition, using instructions from a TeraByte
Forum.
LINUX Partition was "corrupted" during an update. Deleted Partition. Also
deleted Windows.
Restored all. Neither worked from Menu. Moved the Windows partition up and
down (as instructed) to "align" same.
Windows FINALLY worked.
LINUX partition never recovered. I deleted LINUX and SWAP partitions,
re-created same, re-installed same. Works OK, now from above menu.
I use LINUX as a novelty. It's fun and easy to install. It is just
frustrating for it NOT to work on RESTORE. I had MORE than the required
space available when it restored. So far I am on the GUI end of LINUX. While
I have heard of it, I am clueless about "GRUB". I assume the LINUX partition
has its GRUB.
I have GREAT success in moving BOOT MNGR and BOOT subdirectory to W7
partition, removing the need for the SYS partition.
I have no problem re-installing the Multiple OS partitions (other than the
endless MS updates).
Data recovers well AND I have copies elsewhere.
Thank you for your time.