BootIt Boot Manager and SSD
Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:31 pm
Hello All,
While not a newbie to PC hardware and software, it's been 5 years since my last forray into building my own machine from the ground up. My new system has an SSD and several 2TB hard drives and I find things are not as simple as they once were. I have been reading online for many evenings now, and am still unsure as to how best to go about performing the initial configuration of my system - and there are essentially no examples describing what I want to do (and I would think that MANY other would as well, but I could be wrong). Here's the deal:
I want to be able to boot W7 off of the SSD. This will be for the real work. I know it's going to take a while to get this set up properly.
I want to also be able to boot W7 off of the HD. This W7 will be for playing, testing new software, etc. I'll likely restore the W7 image to this partition frequently as it gets trashed (slow) - not something I want to do with an SSD.
First problem - my SSD already has a cruddy W7 install on it that has problems. I'd like to Secure Erase it before I do a new, clean install of W7. The only utility Samsung provides for doing a Secure Erase of the SSD runs under Windows. Hmmm. How the heck do I perform a Secure Erase of my SSD for a clean W7 install when the only version of W7 running right now is on the SSD? Seems like a Catch-22 to me. The solution appears to be to install W7 on the HD, install the Samsung Secure Erase utility, erase the SSD, then install W7 on the SSD. Sheesh. It's be nice if Samsung provide a bootable utility disc to do the Secure Erase.
The BootIt Boot Manager appears to be the best boot manager around. All the features I want, though not simple to use (I've read through the manual and watched all the BING YouTube videos several times). But I want the flexibility it offers. So here are my questions:
? Does BootIt Bare Metal (BIBM) keep the partitions properly aligned for the SSD? Should I use it for my partitioning (I understand I should install the BM in its own 8 meg parition). Do I do this up front using BIBM, then create an EMBR, then install W7 on the SSD? Or use the HD W7 install to partition the SSD since it's careful about partition alignment on SSDs.
? Should I install BIBM on my HD or on the SSD (given that I have to install W7 on the HD before I can Secure Erase the SSD and do a clean W7 install on the SSD). Does it matter? I assume boot times would be faster off of the SSD.
I appreciate your help with this. Again, I wouldn't ask I could find the answers online (or perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place).
Thanks and regards,
Jeff
While not a newbie to PC hardware and software, it's been 5 years since my last forray into building my own machine from the ground up. My new system has an SSD and several 2TB hard drives and I find things are not as simple as they once were. I have been reading online for many evenings now, and am still unsure as to how best to go about performing the initial configuration of my system - and there are essentially no examples describing what I want to do (and I would think that MANY other would as well, but I could be wrong). Here's the deal:
I want to be able to boot W7 off of the SSD. This will be for the real work. I know it's going to take a while to get this set up properly.
I want to also be able to boot W7 off of the HD. This W7 will be for playing, testing new software, etc. I'll likely restore the W7 image to this partition frequently as it gets trashed (slow) - not something I want to do with an SSD.
First problem - my SSD already has a cruddy W7 install on it that has problems. I'd like to Secure Erase it before I do a new, clean install of W7. The only utility Samsung provides for doing a Secure Erase of the SSD runs under Windows. Hmmm. How the heck do I perform a Secure Erase of my SSD for a clean W7 install when the only version of W7 running right now is on the SSD? Seems like a Catch-22 to me. The solution appears to be to install W7 on the HD, install the Samsung Secure Erase utility, erase the SSD, then install W7 on the SSD. Sheesh. It's be nice if Samsung provide a bootable utility disc to do the Secure Erase.
The BootIt Boot Manager appears to be the best boot manager around. All the features I want, though not simple to use (I've read through the manual and watched all the BING YouTube videos several times). But I want the flexibility it offers. So here are my questions:
? Does BootIt Bare Metal (BIBM) keep the partitions properly aligned for the SSD? Should I use it for my partitioning (I understand I should install the BM in its own 8 meg parition). Do I do this up front using BIBM, then create an EMBR, then install W7 on the SSD? Or use the HD W7 install to partition the SSD since it's careful about partition alignment on SSDs.
? Should I install BIBM on my HD or on the SSD (given that I have to install W7 on the HD before I can Secure Erase the SSD and do a clean W7 install on the SSD). Does it matter? I assume boot times would be faster off of the SSD.
I appreciate your help with this. Again, I wouldn't ask I could find the answers online (or perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place).
Thanks and regards,
Jeff