Page 1 of 1

Disk Image from XP and using it with Win 7

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:58 pm
by HollisterBulldawg
I have an older computer with RAID drives using XP. I would like to image some older programs on it (Adobe CS2 for example) and then use it on a Win 7 system should the XP computer die. Will this be possible or will the programs on the XP be connected only to XP? Thanks.

Re: Disk Image from XP and using it with Win 7

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:53 am
by DrTeeth
On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 11:58:00 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
HollisterBulldawg disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I have an older computer with RAID drives using XP. I would like to image some older programs on it (Adobe CS2 for example) and then use it on a Win 7 system should the XP computer die. Will this be possible or will the programs on the XP be connected only to XP? Thanks.

AIUI, you are asking if you can copy program folders from one computer
to another. You cannot (with very few exceptions indeed), even to the
same version of windows. You will have to install the programs
themselves and them copy over any data.

You may or may not be able to copy any settings and preferences over
depending on the program and your own abilities. Best to reconfigure
from scratch in most cases - but there will always be at least one
'have to' setting that you will not be able to find, LOL.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** You've never known happiness until you're married;
** but by then it is too late.