Question on Restore Order Steps
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:53 pm
Running Windows 7 64-bit.
System hard-drive (basic NTFS) has 2 partitions (OS and Data), plus the computer has an additional dedicated drive where I save my images.
I have a baseline image of entire drive and a couple of Incremental (not differential) images.
Over the weekend, my System hard-drive shot craps. I have a spare, unused HD that is LARGER than my System drive and wish to restore into that leaving my OS partition the same size and expanding all remaining space into my Data partition.
I've performed basic (full) drive image restores into larger drive a lot of times, but I've never done this using incremental image files.
What is the proper procedure (steps) to do this?
Do I "expand" space on the first (baseline) image restore and then just restore incremental images . . . . or do I expand space only on the last incremental image restore . . . or some other series of steps? I can find out by trial and error, but the drive is a fairly-full 1.5TB and would take an entire afternoon to prove which way is correct.
Replies appreciated in advance.
System hard-drive (basic NTFS) has 2 partitions (OS and Data), plus the computer has an additional dedicated drive where I save my images.
I have a baseline image of entire drive and a couple of Incremental (not differential) images.
Over the weekend, my System hard-drive shot craps. I have a spare, unused HD that is LARGER than my System drive and wish to restore into that leaving my OS partition the same size and expanding all remaining space into my Data partition.
I've performed basic (full) drive image restores into larger drive a lot of times, but I've never done this using incremental image files.
What is the proper procedure (steps) to do this?
Do I "expand" space on the first (baseline) image restore and then just restore incremental images . . . . or do I expand space only on the last incremental image restore . . . or some other series of steps? I can find out by trial and error, but the drive is a fairly-full 1.5TB and would take an entire afternoon to prove which way is correct.
Replies appreciated in advance.