Page 1 of 2
Blue Screen When Booting with TeraByte WinPE
Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:06 am
by pablo
As IFL became more and more troublesome on my machine, I finally decided to try restorations with a TBWinPE boot disk. After an hour of work, I carefully and successfully created the disk, but it blue screens my machine before it ever gets to WinPE. The error it gives is 0x024. What can I do to make it work? Will I have better luck with the 32 bit version? If I can't get this to work, then I will be forever stuck at IFW/IFL v2.79 because later versions cause insurmountable problems.
Win 7 SP1 x64, IFW v2.92, WinPE v3.0, 2 SATA drives in RAID 0, 2 SATA drives in RAID 1, 1 external drive in eSATAp
Re: Blue Screen When Booting with TeraByte WinPE
Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:25 pm
by TeraByte Support(PP)
Are you installing any drivers or customizing the build or is it a standard "plain" build? If custom, do you get the same error booting a plain build?
What sizes are the drives? There are known issues with older Intel RST drivers and large drives (there is a note on this in the tutorial).
Are any file system errors showing up (either before booting TBWinPE or afterwards)? You could check the Event Viewer and run "chkdsk" on your partitions.
You could try building with the 8.1 ADK (WinPE 5.0) instead of the Windows 7 PE files (WinPE 3.0). The newer version may better support your system and includes updated Intel drivers.
Re: Blue Screen When Booting with TeraByte WinPE
Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:26 pm
by pablo
1) No drivers or customization. Plain vanilla build.
2) Raid 0 = 2 X 300 = 600, Raid 1 = 2 X 500 = 500, External = 320
3) Nothing in Event Viewer that jumps off the page, but I'm no expert.
I tried the 32 bit TBWinPE and it works; I can boot to IFW and the TB Launcher, but the partitions have mismatched drive letters except for C:\. The partition labels, however, are correct.
The eSATA external drive is not recognized.
What's the difference between 'Windows Drives' and 'HD - MBR' drives? Is it normal to have double listings for all the partitions?
Re: Blue Screen When Booting with TeraByte WinPE
Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:26 pm
by TeraByte Support(PP)
The drive letters being different is normal. They're assigned when booted and often don't match what's set in Windows.
The "Windows Drives" are the partitions assigned drive letters as seen by Windows (WinPE, in this case). The "MBR" drives are a listing of all drives and partitions seen by IFW (includes ID values, partitions in EMBR, etc.). Having both listings is normal.
It may be necessary to include a driver for the eSATA controller. Since you're using the x86 build make sure to use the 32-bit/x86 driver if you add one. It's also possible that a later version of WinPE may include native support for the controller.
Re: Blue Screen When Booting with TeraByte WinPE
Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:27 pm
by pablo
I created an image with IFW 2.92 and successfully restored it with TBWinPE. It was a smooth operation; none of the glitches and bugs that I've grown accustomed to with IFL. TBWinPE (32 bit) will be my go-to recovery program from now on.
I wasn't really expecting the eSATA external drive to show up in WinPE. It's a redundant backup for other partitions so I'm not concerned about it being there.
Can you explain why the 64 bit version didn't work? Does the 0x024 error have any significance with respect to IFW? Would using WinPE v3.1 help a 64 bit version?
Re: Blue Screen When Booting with TeraByte WinPE
Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:31 am
by TeraByte Support(PP)
I would guess the problem is driver related if there isn't anything wrong with the file systems (errors, etc.). Since it's crashing before IFW even starts it wouldn't be related to that. From testing various versions on multiple systems I've seen some combinations that just don't work well. In those cases I just use a different version. Did you test booting the 64-bit version on a different system?
For the 3.1 update versions, you'd have to try it and see if it makes any difference. Personally, I would try the 8.1 ADK instead since it's more current. If you install it you can still use either as the source (just change the source path for the build).
Re: Blue Screen When Booting with TeraByte WinPE
Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:10 am
by TeraByte Support
May not have been able to find itself on the media you booted from (perhaps
drive related - MS may have some differences between their versions?)
See http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x24
"pablo" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
I created an image with IFW 2.92 and successfully restored it with TBWinPE.
It was a smooth operation; none of the glitches and bugs that I've grown
accustomed to with IFL. TBWinPE (32 bit) will be my go-to recovery program
from now on.
I wasn't really expecting the eSATA external drive to show up in WinPE. It's
a redundant backup for other partitions so I'm not concerned about it being
there.
Can you explain why the 64 bit version didn't work? Does the 0x024 error
have any significance with respect to IFW? Would using WinPE v3.1 help a 64
bit version?
Re: Blue Screen When Booting with TeraByte WinPE
Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:01 pm
by TAC109
I'm interested to know what problems you are having with versions of
IFL later than 2.89, thanks.
On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 00:06:46 PDT, pablo wrote:
>As IFL became more and more troublesome on my machine, I finally decided to try restorations with a TBWinPE boot disk. After an hour of work, I carefully and successfully created the disk, but it blue screens my machine before it ever gets to WinPE. The error it gives is 0x024. What can I do to make it work? Will I have better luck with the 32 bit version? If I can't get this to work, then I will be forever stuck at IFW/IFL v2.79 because later versions cause insurmountable problems.
>
>Win 7 SP1 x64, IFW v2.92, WinPE v3.0, 2 SATA drives in RAID 0, 2 SATA drives in RAID 1, 1 external drive in eSATAp
>
Re: Blue Screen When Booting with TeraByte WinPE
Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:36 pm
by pablo
I ran chkdsk on all 5 partitions - no problems found.
Created a 64 bit TBWinPE recovery disk using 8.1 ADK, but it blue-screens before loading IFW. Windows gave NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM as the error. Tried the same disk in my Lenovo laptop running Win 7 Professional x64 and it worked just fine.
I then made a 32 bit disk using 8.1 ADK and it also blue-screened my desktop, again with the NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM error. Once again, this disk worked fine in my laptop.
I guess I'm limited to using the 32 bit 3.0 AIK recovery disk. Is there really any added value in using a 64 bit version over the 32 bit?
Re: Blue Screen When Booting with TeraByte WinPE
Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:49 pm
by pablo
TAC109 wrote:
"I'm interested to know what problems you are having with versions of IFL later than 2.89, thanks."
It's v2.79, not v2.89.
With v2.80, there was a change from using dmraid by default, to using mdadm by default. IFL would no longer recognize my drives properly and was unusable on my desktop. Tom Pfeifer of Terabyte Support was kind enough to send me a custom ISO that worked with v2.80 and that's what I've been using for the last year and a half along with IFW v2.80.
There were also a couple of bugs with my system and IFL that were cured with workarounds.