Page 1 of 1

Self-encrypting hard drives

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:22 pm
by Peabody
When last seen, Truecrypt wouldn't work with Windows 8's UEFI/GPT structure. In case we never get a fork that will do that, I've been thinking about using a self-encrypting hard drive in my next computer, assuming its bios will support that. So I just wanted to confirm that such a drive would work fine with IFW and IFL. I assume the bios would handle opening up the hard drive before booting the IFL CD, so IFL would just see it as a normal unencrypted drive. Can someone confirm that? And by the way, is anyone using one of these drives now? Any problems? The only downside I see at this point is that, unlike Truecrypt, rebooting does not require re-entering the passcode unless you actually power down in the process.

Re: Self-encrypting hard drives

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:39 pm
by TeraByte Support
Yes, that's a great way to do it (surprised that's not a standard option on
all modern systems). Once the BIOS unlocks it, it looks like a normal
drive.


"Peabody" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

When last seen, Truecrypt wouldn't work with Windows 8's UEFI/GPT structure.
In case we never get a fork that will do that, I've been thinking about
using a self-encrypting hard drive in my next computer, assuming its bios
will support that. So I just wanted to confirm that such a drive would work
fine with IFW and IFL. I assume the bios would handle opening up the hard
drive before booting the IFL CD, so IFL would just see it as a normal
unencrypted drive. Can someone confirm that? And by the way, is anyone
using one of these drives now? Any problems? The only downside I see at
this point is that, unlike Truecrypt, rebooting does not require re-entering
the passcode unless you actually power down in the process.