IFD error "Cannot write first track"
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:49 pm
Hi,
Windows Server 2003 on a Dell PowerEdge 2900 with RAID.
5 hard drives in the machine. One hard drive failed. Server rebooted itself but couldn't boot. I replaced the dead hard drive. Machine won't boot. I assume the dead drive contained the boot track. Booted with IFD. Tried to restore and got the error "Cannot write to first track." During the boot process the server said it failed to create a logical drive. I assume the logical drive is created by the hardware out of the 5 hard disks in the server. I know the IFD image is good as I've restored some of the data to another computer for users who needed it. The new hard drive is exactly the same make and model as the old one.
Is this an IFD issue or a hardware / RAID configuration / Windows Server 2003 issue?
Thank you.
Windows Server 2003 on a Dell PowerEdge 2900 with RAID.
5 hard drives in the machine. One hard drive failed. Server rebooted itself but couldn't boot. I replaced the dead hard drive. Machine won't boot. I assume the dead drive contained the boot track. Booted with IFD. Tried to restore and got the error "Cannot write to first track." During the boot process the server said it failed to create a logical drive. I assume the logical drive is created by the hardware out of the 5 hard disks in the server. I know the IFD image is good as I've restored some of the data to another computer for users who needed it. The new hard drive is exactly the same make and model as the old one.
Is this an IFD issue or a hardware / RAID configuration / Windows Server 2003 issue?
Thank you.