IFL-Restore to smaller SSD failure

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
JohnH

Re: IFL-Restore to smaller SSD failure

Post by JohnH »

This is a new computer with new hard drive with clean Windows install only. No data. I didn't think that it would have stray written sectors too far away from the beginning of the partition. I'll check it out tonight. When I get the error message it says 493MB required for restore. Which is the whole partition, and of course the system partition.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

JohnH wrote:
> This is a new computer with new hard drive with clean Windows install only.
> No data. I didn't think that it would have stray written sectors too far
> away from the beginning of the partition.

You could be surprised.You have used sectors as far as the end of the partition. That is, 55 GB spread over 493 GB.
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

I checked out the drive and ran defrag. Then I booted into IFL and the restore size is the same size as the partition. Same for the backup size. I then used another imaging program I have and it worked fine. It restored to the SSD without any problem. I wonder what is tripping IFL up?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

John, IFL does sector based image/restores. Most imaging apps do the same but some do file based restores and ignore sector position. These apps can restore to smaller partitions. It might seem fine for what you have done but they do it for every restore. The restored sectors are not where they were on the source partition. If you are a fan of file placement on a drive (eg using defragging apps), this will be messed up after restoring an image.

To use IFL you simply had to run "Compact" before running the imaging/copy. That is, move the sectors so they would fit on the SSD partition.
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Since its a new system I wanted to test some imaging programs I haven't used. I wanted to do this before I resized or otherwise messed with the partitions. I do have the SSD up and running. I have the partition setup now only to take up ~60GB on a restore.

Another note. I'm now using Image for Windows WINRE on a USB. The IFL version was somewhat unstable on the system. IFW has given me no problems. It's time to buy. :)