IFD target to an external 3TB USB drive?
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:08 am
I have a new Dell Latitude E7440 laptop running Windows 7 Professional SP1 that was pre-installed by Dell through downgrade rights from Windows 8.1 Professional (64 bit).
There is a known bug in the BIOS for a small number of Latitude models where Windows 7 won't boot from the internal hard drive if a 3TB or greater external hard drive is attached via USB. Lucky me, I bought one of those models and have a Seagate 3TB. Oh, well. Just means I need to plug the Seagate into the Latitude after I power up until the BIOS is updated.
Can I use boot from Image for DOS installed to a USB flash drive and backup to the 3TB drive? I didn't think DOS could see beyond 2TB. Do I need to use Image for Linux instead? I could use Image for Windows, I know, but I'm kinda old school and prefer to boot specifically to perform the backup task.
Right now, the 3TB drive is set up with an extended partition (no primary partitions) and formatted as one big NTFS volume. I've looked at the IFD manual and scoured the knowledge base, but don't really see this question. I have the BIOS set to legacy mode. I'm not using UEFI or GPT or anything that is making my head hurt thinking about it.
There is a known bug in the BIOS for a small number of Latitude models where Windows 7 won't boot from the internal hard drive if a 3TB or greater external hard drive is attached via USB. Lucky me, I bought one of those models and have a Seagate 3TB. Oh, well. Just means I need to plug the Seagate into the Latitude after I power up until the BIOS is updated.
Can I use boot from Image for DOS installed to a USB flash drive and backup to the 3TB drive? I didn't think DOS could see beyond 2TB. Do I need to use Image for Linux instead? I could use Image for Windows, I know, but I'm kinda old school and prefer to boot specifically to perform the backup task.
Right now, the 3TB drive is set up with an extended partition (no primary partitions) and formatted as one big NTFS volume. I've looked at the IFD manual and scoured the knowledge base, but don't really see this question. I have the BIOS set to legacy mode. I'm not using UEFI or GPT or anything that is making my head hurt thinking about it.