Re: File system type compatibilities <SOLVED>
Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:27 pm
Where can I find a listing of which types of file system are supported in TBIView? I have noticed that I can read the file contents of typical Windows formats such as ntfs or fat32, for example, but not of Linux formats such as ext3 or ext4; though I can read ext2. I have changed parts of my system configuration now that I have begun using a few additional devices, and I have to make decisions in regard to which file systems to make use of in some cases, both in Windows and Linux. So, for instance, if I use exfat on a device, which allows me to utilize it in both OSs, would I be able to read the files in TBIView?
In some cases these are fairly large directories, and I would like to have confidence that the backed up image files are valid and recoverable. One easy way I normally do so currently is simply to open the image in TBIView to browse its contents. This method of verification has never failed me in the past, and it seems more efficient than other ways when the file system is one that TBIView can peruse easily enough. In the case of file systems that cannot be read by it, I use other means such as validation during the backup procedure, which is however rather less efficient. Does this kind of approach seem valid generally? Thanks.
In some cases these are fairly large directories, and I would like to have confidence that the backed up image files are valid and recoverable. One easy way I normally do so currently is simply to open the image in TBIView to browse its contents. This method of verification has never failed me in the past, and it seems more efficient than other ways when the file system is one that TBIView can peruse easily enough. In the case of file systems that cannot be read by it, I use other means such as validation during the backup procedure, which is however rather less efficient. Does this kind of approach seem valid generally? Thanks.