IFD PCMCIA Support
Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:54 am
I need to backup data from a 20GB IDE HDD of an old laptop with one USB1.1 out port and PCMCIA slot, 196MB RAM, no OS installed. I can use PCMCIA-SATA card based on Sil3112 controller to connect an external HDD as backup destination. The laptop BIOS doesn't see PCMCIA cards at boot. Plop Boot Manager supports only boot from PCMCIA-USB2.0 cards.
I know that some FreeDOS images with IFD support PCMCIA-USB too. Does IFD (or FreeDOS with IFD, or whatever OS capable to boot from USB1.1 with 196MB RAM) supports PCMCIA-SATA disk access? Then I can boot IFD from USB flash and backup the laptop. If not, can someone explain why - what is the principal difference between supporting PCMCIA-USB and PCMCIA-SATA in DOS?
And what solution would you suggest?
I know that some FreeDOS images with IFD support PCMCIA-USB too. Does IFD (or FreeDOS with IFD, or whatever OS capable to boot from USB1.1 with 196MB RAM) supports PCMCIA-SATA disk access? Then I can boot IFD from USB flash and backup the laptop. If not, can someone explain why - what is the principal difference between supporting PCMCIA-USB and PCMCIA-SATA in DOS?