Page 1 of 1

IFW hanging PC, requires cold boot.

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:41 pm
by Montclair
IFW has developed an issue on my XP PC of hard locking the machine with 1059 mbytes left in a backup. The progress indicator will count for about another 5 seconds, then the machine locks hard. The log file is completely empty.

About a month ago, IFW found some bad sectors on the drive, which I marked bad with chkdsk /f /r. IFW no longer reported the bad sectors.

So, I've run chkdsk /f /r and again and am not coming up with any errors. I'm not having any others issues with this PC either. I tried upgrading to v2.9 today and IFW still locks my PC requiring a cold boot with 1059 mbytes left to backup.

Here's my full command line:

"C:\Program Files\TeraByte Unlimited\Image for Windows\V2\imagew.exe" /b /hash /uy /ui /err /d:1 /purge:-14 /plvolf /pldisk:1 /pldcs:1112 /iobs:A /po:514 /plmwt:1 /pltr:1 /pltw:1 /plti:100 /logfile:"c:\documents and settings\x\desktop\ifw.log" /savename:lastfullbackup /f:t:\Fullback\x\C\$~MM$-$~DD$-$~YYYY$

If this is bad sector related, why isn't IFW just skipping the bad sectors like it previously did? Also, XP should be coughing up a drive error but I'm getting nothing. Just a hard lock.

Re: IFW hanging PC, requires cold boot.

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:36 am
by TeraByte Support
How is it a hard lock? Can you move the mouse? Which antivirus do you use?

"Montclair" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

IFW has developed an issue on my XP PC of hard locking the machine with 1059
mbytes left in a backup. The progress indicator will count for about
another 5 seconds, then the machine locks hard. There log file is
completely empty.

About a month ago, IFW found some bad sectors on the drive, which I marked
bad with chkdsk /f /r. IFW no longer reported the bad sectors.

So, I've run chkdsk /f /r and again and am not coming up with any errors.
I'm not having any others issues with this PC either. I tried upgrading to
v2.9 today and IFW still locks my PC requiring a cold boot with 1059 mbytes
left to backup.

Here's my full command line:

"C:\Program Files\TeraByte Unlimited\Image for Windows\V2\imagew.exe" /b
/hash /uy /ui /err /d:1 /purge:-14 /plvolf /pldisk:1 /pldcs:1112 /iobs:A
/po:514 /plmwt:1 /pltr:1 /pltw:1 /plti:100 /logfile:"c:\documents and
settings\x\desktop\ifw.log" /savename:lastfullbackup
/f:t:\Fullback\x\C\$~MM$-$~DD$-$~YYYY$

If this is bad sector related, why isn't IFW just skipping the bad sectors
like it previously did? Also, XP should be coughing up a drive error but
I'm getting nothing. Just a hard lock.


Re: IFW hanging PC, requires cold boot.

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:54 pm
by Montclair
Not sure how else to explain hard lock. The system freezes 100%. No mouse, no keyboard indicator changes (scroll lock, caps lock, etc). It's a hard lock.

I took the system down yesterday and ran a 3rd party surface scan. It discovered an unreadable sector near the end of the drive, and marked it accordingly. I've run two backups since without issue -- so for whatever reason, either IFW or Windows was hanging the system on this bad sector.

Re: IFW hanging PC, requires cold boot.

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:11 am
by TeraByte Support
sounds like it could have been a dead lock while waiting for a bad sector
operation to complete on the hard drive.

"Montclair" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Not sure how else to explain hard lock. The system freezes 100%. No mouse,
no keyboard indicator changes (scroll lock, caps lock, etc). It's a hard
lock.

I took the system down yesterday and ran a 3rd party surface scan. It
discovered an unreadable sector near the end of the drive, and marked it
accordingly. I've run two backups since without issue -- so for whatever
reason, either IFW or Windows was hanging the system on this bad sector.