Suggestion: Add "system precheck" functionality

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
timg11

Suggestion: Add "system precheck" functionality

Post by timg11 »

I have sporadic issues with byte-4-byte verification failures. It is always associated with a solid state drive.

I understand there are various reasons that data can get corrupted in a system. I would like to see a "system precheck" function that that generates a few GiBytes of pseudo-random data and writes it to the image target, and then turns around and immediately verifies it byte-4-byte. This would occur before the actual image job starts. In theory, it would not involve the drive at all, so it would check out every aspect of the system _other_ than the drive. (it might even be possible to occur in parallel with the wait for PHYlock).
This would have the benefit of a) identifying potential problems before waiting for a full image b) providing additional information to understand when and where errors occur.

I could possibly write such a utility, but I think it would be better for Terabyte to do it - specifically to re-use as much code from IFW as possible, so the results are the most meaningful and comparable. It could either be integrated into IFW, or added as a separate command-line utility.