Page 1 of 1
IFL and Virtio Network drivers in KVM
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:15 pm
by P19
After booting into IFL from a CD drive or ISO image accessed from a Linux guest on KVM/Qemu, the networking works well so long as I have a non-Virtio network device configured for the guest. However, it appears that the standard virtio drivers are not recognized by IFL, and I cannot procede unless I first change out the driver for guest networking. Alternatively, I would need to mount the drive or partition from another OS in order to back up or restore its contents to another machine on the LAN, or I would need to attach and configure a USB device to be accessible to the guest. Perhaps the Terabyte Unlimited team can give consideration in the future to implementing support for virtio drivers, which are increasingly becoming the standard for networking in Linux and Windows guests on KVM/Qemu, as well as on other hypervisors.
Re: IFL and Virtio Network drivers in KVM
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:01 am
by TeraByte Support
if the environment you have supports virtio then ifl will list those
(/dev/vd%) types.
"P19" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
After booting into IFL from a CD drive or ISO image accessed from a Linux
guest on KVM/Qemu, the networking works well so long as I have a non-Virtio
network device configured for the guest. However, it appears that the
standard virtio drivers are not recognized by IFL, and I cannot procede
unless I first change out the driver for guest networking. Alternatively, I
would need to mount the drive or partition from another OS in order to back
up or restore its contents to another machine on the LAN, or I would need to
attach and configure a USB device to be accessible to the guest. Perhaps the
Terabyte Unlimited team can give consideration in the future to implementing
support for virtio drivers, which are increasingly becoming the standard for
networking in Linux and Windows guests on KVM/Qemu, as well as on other
hypervisors.
Re: IFL and Virtio Network drivers in KVM
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:40 pm
by TeraByte Support(TP)
P19 wrote:
> After booting into IFL from a CD drive or ISO image accessed from a Linux
> guest on KVM/Qemu, the networking works well so long as I have a non-Virtio
> network device configured for the guest. However, it appears that the
> standard virtio drivers are not recognized by IFL, and I cannot procede
> unless I first change out the driver for guest networking. Alternatively, I
> would need to mount the drive or partition from another OS in order to back
> up or restore its contents to another machine on the LAN, or I would need
> to attach and configure a USB device to be accessible to the guest. Perhaps
> the Terabyte Unlimited team can give consideration in the future to
> implementing support for virtio drivers, which are increasingly becoming
> the standard for networking in Linux and Windows guests on KVM/Qemu, as
> well as on other hypervisors.
The Linux kernel supports that network interface (the virtio-net module), but it has not been enabled right along. It should work in the next release.
Re: IFL and Virtio Network drivers in KVM
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:17 pm
by P19
Hi, Tom
> "... It should work in the next release."
Awesome! I'll be watching for it and let you know how it goes. Muchas gracias.