Page 1 of 2

.ini settings not taking effect in YUMI thumb drive install

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:13 am
by crawfish
I've used YUMI 2.0.0.5 to consolidate a bunch of .iso's onto a flash drive, and the one program that is giving me trouble is IFL. It is bootable, but the settings in ifl.ini and bootitbm.ini are not acted upon, specifically the GlobalGeoAlign2k option and the registration info that I entered in makedisk. The weird thing is, they are present in the .ini files in the .iso YUMI copied to the thumb drive, and when I burn the source .iso to a CD, they take effect. The .iso source file and the one on the thumb drive compare identical, and this is after booting into IFL from YUMI, so I don't think it could be the readonly issue documented in the KB for IFW (and I'm using IFL anyway).

There is something about booting from thumb drive instead of CD that IFL is not liking. I've tried both grub and syslinux in YUMI, but the end result is the same. I created the .iso using makedisk from a fresh ifl_en_gui 2.89 extraction. Any ideas?

Re: .ini settings not taking effect in YUMI thumb drive inst

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:43 am
by Brian K
crawfish,

I can confirm your findings with grub4dos and IFL. I prefer to use makedisk.exe and create a UFD and then do an entire drive image of the UFD. I can use the same UFD for multiple boot disks by restoring the images.

Re: .ini settings not taking effect in YUMI thumb drive inst

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:43 pm
by TeraByte Support(TP)
crawfish wrote:
> I've used YUMI 2.0.0.5 to consolidate a bunch of .iso's onto a flash drive,
> and the one program that is giving me trouble is IFL. It is bootable, but
> the settings in ifl.ini and bootitbm.ini are not acted upon, specifically
> the GlobalGeoAlign2k option and the registration info that I entered in
> makedisk. The weird thing is, they are present in the .ini files in the
> .iso YUMI copied to the thumb drive, and when I burn the source .iso to a
> CD, they take effect. The .iso source file and the one on the thumb drive
> compare identical, and this is after booting into IFL from YUMI, so I don't
> think it could be the readonly issue documented in the KB for IFW (and I'm
> using IFL anyway).
>
> There is something about booting from thumb drive instead of CD that IFL is
> not liking. I've tried both grub and syslinux in YUMI, but the end result
> is the same. I created the .iso using makedisk from a fresh ifl_en_gui 2.89
> extraction. Any ideas?

That happens because when custom boot media is created from MakeDisk, IFL then needs to mount the boot media at boot time to copy those files into the IFL root fs to have them take effect. The boot time search for IFL boot media is for optical discs, removable drives (UFDs), and hard drive partitions. It will not find settings in an ISO file located on a UFD.

You can create a custom IFL ISO file from Linux with those settings already included in the root fs, by using the 'iflbuild' script. This can be done from the boot disk itself, or from an installed Linux distro. From the boot disk, you would select "Create IFL Boot Media" from the right click menu (GUI), or the Auxiliary Menu (CUI), and then select Zip File Mode (assuming IFL 2.89 or later). The KB article linked below has additional information on how to do this from the IFL boot disk:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=545

Re: .ini settings not taking effect in YUMI thumb drive inst

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:44 pm
by crawfish
Tom, iflbuild worked. :) Thank you.

Brian, after you create the UFD, are you able to make a bootable .iso from it and install it with YUMI or similar, and do your settings carry over?

Re: .ini settings not taking effect in YUMI thumb drive inst

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:50 pm
by Brian K
crawfish wrote:
>
>after you create the UFD, are you able to make a bootable .iso from
> it and install it with YUMI or similar, and do your settings carry over?

crawfish,

I haven't tried making an ISO as I just use the UFD.

Re: .ini settings not taking effect in YUMI thumb drive inst

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:41 am
by giulia
Brian K wrote:
> crawfish,
>
> I can confirm your findings with grub4dos and IFL. I prefer to use
> makedisk.exe and create a UFD and then do an entire drive image of the UFD.
> I can use the same UFD for multiple boot disks by restoring the images.
Hi Brian
would be really cool have a usb stick with image for windows winpe w8.11 based 290 , image for linux 290+ partition manager and bibm all in a usb stick
maybe other software could do it?
thanks

Re: .ini settings not taking effect in YUMI thumb drive inst

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:19 am
by Brian K
giulia wrote:

> would be really cool have a usb stick with image for windows winpe w8.11 based 290 ,
> image for linux 290+ partition manager and bibm all in a usb stick
> maybe other software could do it?
> thanks

giulia,

I prefer single use UFDs. Have you tried YUMI? See Tom's post.

Re: .ini settings not taking effect in YUMI thumb drive inst

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:59 am
by giulia
Brian K wrote:
> giulia wrote:
>
> > would be really cool have a usb stick with image for windows winpe w8.11 based
> 290 ,
> > image for linux 290+ partition manager and bibm all in a usb stick
> > maybe other software could do it?
> > thanks
>
> giulia,
>
> I prefer single use UFDs. Have you tried YUMI? See Tom's post.
yes and yami doesn't work because image for linux doesn't read the the ini files with the license for image for linux and bibm

Re: .ini settings not taking effect in YUMI thumb drive inst

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:33 am
by Brian K
Does it work using Tom's method?

Re: .ini settings not taking effect in YUMI thumb drive inst

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:14 pm
by giulia
Brian K wrote:
> Does it work using Tom's method?
sorry Brian

but is there a way to use image for linux + partition manger with yumi?