Cannot backup VMware virtual disks with snapshots
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:11 pm
I'm a long time and happy user of Bootit NG/BM and Image for Windows / Linux. Thank you Terabyte for products which work reliably and with so little fuss.
I would like to use IfW to make a backup of some of my VMware virtual machines. The machines make use of snapshots, so each one consists of a base file and several difference (snapshot) files, all in vmdk format. IfW can mount a base file as virtual drive, but I cannot make it mount any difference files. VMware Workstation can mount difference files correctly onto virtual drives, but I cannot make IfW see these drives. I'm stuck, as all the possible workrounds are extremely long-winded.
Can anyone tell me, is this situation due to a) user ignorance b) technical reason e.g unpublished format for difference files c) oversight on the part of Terabyte d) bug in IfW e) something else.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.
I would like to use IfW to make a backup of some of my VMware virtual machines. The machines make use of snapshots, so each one consists of a base file and several difference (snapshot) files, all in vmdk format. IfW can mount a base file as virtual drive, but I cannot make it mount any difference files. VMware Workstation can mount difference files correctly onto virtual drives, but I cannot make IfW see these drives. I'm stuck, as all the possible workrounds are extremely long-winded.
Can anyone tell me, is this situation due to a) user ignorance b) technical reason e.g unpublished format for difference files c) oversight on the part of Terabyte d) bug in IfW e) something else.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.