Multiple network interfaces

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
P19

Multiple network interfaces

Post by P19 »

Where can I find instructions for specifying a particular network interface to use in the IFL CD environment when a machine may have more than one adapter? I had a little problem trying to use an interface with a point-to-point connection from one machine on the LAN to another while trying to identify a Windows SMB share on the remote machine. Even though I named the machine specifically, it did not see it. I ended up going through a different adapter on the local machine, one that was connected to the same remote machine but through a router. It would appear, if I am not mistaken, to need a DHCP server, such as the router provided, in order to make the connection. If possible, I would prefer to avoid that router during backup since the point-to-point connections are directly on gigabit adapters and ought to be quicker, among other reasons.
TeraByte Support(TP)

Re: Multiple network interfaces

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

P19 wrote:
> Where can I find instructions for specifying a particular network interface
> to use in the IFL CD environment when a machine may have more than one
> adapter? I had a little problem trying to use an interface with a
> point-to-point connection from one machine on the LAN to another while
> trying to identify a Windows SMB share on the remote machine. Even though I
> named the machine specifically, it did not see it. I ended up going through
> a different adapter on the local machine, one that was connected to the
> same remote machine but through a router. It would appear, if I am not
> mistaken, to need a DHCP server, such as the router provided, in order to
> make the connection. If possible, I would prefer to avoid that router
> during backup since the point-to-point connections are directly on gigabit
> adapters and ought to be quicker, among other reasons.

I don't know how your network is set up, but typically it's going to need the router to provide the IP address, using either DHCP, or assigning a requested static IP address. It attempts DHCP configuration by default at boot time, for up to 4 network interfaces.

The network interfaces can be manually configured (including using a static IP address) by selecting "Configure Network" from the right click menu (GUI), or the Auxiliary Menu (CUI). Each interface should be identifiable there by its HW address. To ensure a particular interface will not be used, either bring it "DOWN" in the configuration, or leave it disconnected.
P19

Post by P19 »

> " ... network interfaces can be manually configured (including using a static IP address)..."

This worked perfectly between the point-to-point connection without having DHCP. Your network connection program is quite handy. I have gigabit devices on this connection and the switch between them. Is your driver able to make use of jumbo frames, which possibly could increase the speed if so? Regardless, I can see a good improvement between these two adapters with this direct route in comparison to the one i had through the router.

One little problem I had, causing me to reboot to fix it, was that I could not reopen the window to mount network shares after I closed it accidentally. I could not see any icon on the taskbar at the bottom showing it to be open. So I thought I closed the process down, but i could not open another one by clicking on its program icon along the top because it kept giving me an error message saying that another instance was still running. I ended up rebooting to start the menu again and set up the network connections.
TeraByte Support(TP)

As far as jumbo frames, the network drivers are all supplied with the Linux kernel - some may support them, others not. That we have no control over. But right now, the utilities that bring up the network interfaces make no attempt to use them anyway. We'd have to take a look at what is required to do that for a future relase.
P19

Post by P19 »

Tom,

If I follow you right, you're suggesting I might simply try it on the command line even though the utility's GUI would not support it, using something like:

ifconfig <interface> mtu 4000

Is that what you were thinking?
TeraByte Support(TP)

P19 wrote:
> Tom,
>
> If I follow you right, you're suggesting I might simply try it on the command line
> even though the utility's GUI would not support it, using something like:
>
> ifconfig <interface> mtu 4000
>
>
> Is that what you were thinking?

You could try the following 2 command lines after booting (assumes eth0 is the interface to set MTU on):

ifdown eth0 ==> brings down eth0 interface configured at boot time with DHCP
ifconfig etho mtu 4000 192.168.2.20 up ==> brings up eth0 with MTU=4000, and static IP of 192.168.2.20

If the driver/network card doesn't support jumbo frames, you'll get an "SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument" error with the 2nd command. If it works, you'll see "MTU:4000" in the ifconfig output.