Page 1 of 2

image for windows runs, but tbi file size zero

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:42 pm
by errolgreer
I have been using Image for windows for some years, but I find that I sometimes have to run it several times before I get a successful tbi file.
It says successful but the file shows o bytes in Win Explorer, although it uses up about the correct number of GB in disk management.
After many tries, if I uninstall IFW using Revo Uninstaller, then reinstall and ensure that both the drive I want to back up AND the target HD have been defragged, it usually works.

Other times, I just rerun it a few times, and suddenly I get a successful tbi file.

Are there some settings I should change to ensure it always works?

Many thanks
errolgreer

Re: image for windows runs, but tbi file size zero

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:18 pm
by TeraByte Support(PP)
What does the TBI file's properties show in Explorer? If you're checking while the backup is being created it's normal for Explorer to show a size of 0 bytes (properties will show the actual amount). Also, sometimes Explorer will not automatically refresh the listing when finished (you may need to refresh it or browse out and back in).

Have you checked the partition for any file system errors (e.g. run "chkdsk /f" on it)?

When you get the "0 byte" TBI file:
- Any errors reported by IFW?
- Is the size shown correctly when browsing for it in IFW?
- Can you successfully Validate on it?

Re: image for windows runs, but tbi file size zero

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:32 am
by errolgreer
Although Win Explorer shows 0 bytes, if I delete that file and then empty the recycle bin, the space left on the target drive increases by the expected size of the tbi file!
In other words data is written, but is useless.

Yes, I have checked all the drives with chkdsk and also defragged them.

Re: image for windows runs, but tbi file size zero

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:08 pm
by TeraByte Support
If it's deleing it and no chkdsk /f errors then whatever is show a zero file
size must not be up to date. You can validate the file after creating it.
Also presume you're using a drive letter to save to. The filesize will be
zero during creation, only after it's closed will windows update the size,
you may have to press F5 if you have explorer open.

"errolgreer" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Although Win Explorer shows 0 bytes, if I delete that file and then empty
the recycle bin, the space left on the target drive increases by the
expected size of the tbi file!
In other words data is written, but is useless.

Yes, I have checked all the drives with chkdsk and also defragged them.


Re: image for windows runs, but tbi file size zero

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:38 pm
by errolgreer
I used the boot disk to run backup outside of Windows and it works fine!
It seems to me that Windows itself is preventing the backup from completing correctly.

The boot procedure is a bit complicated, even though I am using the "command line version" Is there a boot disk version which uses the mouse? ie graphical interface?

Re: image for windows runs, but tbi file size zero

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:01 pm
by Brian K
errolgreer wrote:
>
> The boot procedure is a bit complicated, even though I am using the
> "command line version" Is there a boot disk version which uses
> the mouse? ie graphical interface?

errolgreer,

There are GUI versions for IFD and IFL in your download site. Both have mouse support.

Paul asked a few questions a couple of posts above. The answers could be helpful.
Also, if you double click the zero size TBI, does TBIView open and show files and folders?

Re: image for windows runs, but tbi file size zero

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:24 pm
by mjnelson99
Some have mouse problems. Try using a wired mouse and disconnect the usb
dongle if you use a wireless.

I have had pretty good results doing this.
Mary

On 6/15/2014 5:01 PM, Brian K wrote:
> errolgreer wrote:
>>
>> The boot procedure is a bit complicated, even though I am using the
>> "command line version" Is there a boot disk version which uses
>> the mouse? ie graphical interface?
>
> errolgreer,
>
> There are GUI versions for IFD and IFL in your download site. Both have mouse support.
>
> Paul asked a few questions a couple of posts above. The answers could be helpful.
> Also, if you double click the zero size TBI, does TBIView open and show files and folders?
>
>

Re: image for windows runs, but tbi file size zero

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:27 pm
by errolgreer
I downloaded IFD GUI Ver 2.90 ISO, wrote it to a CD. Booted from this, but it only gave DOS type commands.
I then replaced my USB mouse with a wired mouse, but still did not get mouse support.
Is there another IFD file on the download site? Maybe IFD GUI is the wrong one?

Re: image for windows runs, but tbi file size zero

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:40 pm
by jack450
I had a problem using my USB keyboard with IFD. I switched to IFL 2 or 3 years ago and haven't had a problem since. It's just a personal preference, but I never use the GUI version of IFL. The program is so simple to set up and use that a mouse really isn't necessary. I'm also using an older version of IFL (2.74) which works perfectly, so I see no reason to update as each version comes out unless there's something added that I need. A speed increase would cause me to update, but that's about all I'd be interested in.

Re: image for windows runs, but tbi file size zero

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:52 pm
by Bob Coleman
errolgreer wrote:
> I downloaded IFD GUI Ver 2.90 ISO, wrote it to a CD. Booted from this, but
> it only gave DOS type commands.
> I then replaced my USB mouse with a wired mouse, but still did not get
> mouse support.
> Is there another IFD file on the download site? Maybe IFD GUI is the wrong
> one?

I'm not sure what you downloaded. I just went to https://terabyteunlimited.com/product-download.php and downloaded "Image for DOS V2.90 (GUI)". I got a zip file, not an ISO.