Bitlocker procedures?
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:00 pm
With the strange goings-on this week concerning TrueCrypt, I decided to take a look at Windows 8.1 and Bitlocker. I found it's much improved over the Windows 7 version in that it can be used much like TrueCrypt with a pre-boot password and without a TPM, and it's just as seamless WRT to secondary drives and drive letters, it's more seamless WRT to Windows integration (no drive letters for the RAW partitions that need to be hidden and so forth), and it doesn't disable TRIM and VSS on non-system drives. I like it.
I'm wondering if there is a white paper for Bitlocker and the Terabyte products corresponding to the very helpful one on TrueCrypt. I am particularly interested in the TBWinRE environment and whether it's possible to backup and restore with Bitlocker encrypting/decrypting on the fly. I presume manage-bde would be used to mount the relevant partitions inside WinRE. Ideally, I would backup the unencrypted data and restore it with Bitlocker encrypting it on the fly. This was possible with TrueCrypt data drives, but I never could get a bootable system for System drives, so I would have to restore System drives to unencrypted drives and re-encrypt when done.
I'm wondering if there is a white paper for Bitlocker and the Terabyte products corresponding to the very helpful one on TrueCrypt. I am particularly interested in the TBWinRE environment and whether it's possible to backup and restore with Bitlocker encrypting/decrypting on the fly. I presume manage-bde would be used to mount the relevant partitions inside WinRE. Ideally, I would backup the unencrypted data and restore it with Bitlocker encrypting it on the fly. This was possible with TrueCrypt data drives, but I never could get a bootable system for System drives, so I would have to restore System drives to unencrypted drives and re-encrypt when done.