Cannot restore System Reserved partition

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Jim22

Cannot restore System Reserved partition

Post by Jim22 »

I used IFL to make image files of the C: and System Reserved primary partitions, and attempted to "restore" a second hard drive connected to my Dell T3500 as the secondary drive (SATA1 and HDD1). I'm running Win 7.

I cannot boot from the second drive when it is connected as the primary drive. The Windows Boot Manager appears, saying "Windows Failed to Start".

When it is connected as the secondary drive, I can access it, opening Word Documents, running programs, running IE, etc.

I used EraseUS Partition Manager to compare the system reserved partitions on the two drives Both drives have the same used and unused space, but noticed differences. On the secondary drive, System Reserved has a drive letter and the status is called Active instead of System. The second drive equivalent of the C: drive is has a status of None instead of Boot.

I attempted to use an identical approach in creating the image files and restoring them to the second drive.

The second drive is good. It is identical to the drive in the computer, and I'll eventually use it in a RAID 1 configuration.

One possibility is to back up and restore the entire drive, but I want to avoid that approach. I'll have some extended partitions that I'll back up less frequently than the C: drive and can save storage space and backup time.

Any suggestions.
Jim
Brian K

Re: Cannot restore System Reserved partition

Post by Brian K »

Jim,

Are you using BIBM to boot the OS on the second HD?
Jim22

Post by Jim22 »

In answer to your question, no. The drive should boot in a normal manner. I viewed the MBR, and system reserved is active. I could try using Bootit BM to boot, but don’t know how.

I have used this backup approach when running Win XP, with no problems.

I made my original post just before going to bed last night, and think I had some errors.

Starting again.

I want to use IFL to back up my C: and System Reserved drives. The computer has an extended partition with some logical drives, but I only want to back up the C: drive. I used this approach with computers running Win XP and had no problems.

I made image files of the C: and System Reserved drives, and put these files on an external hard drive.

Then, I made a test run. I replaced the drive in the computer with a different one (I’ll call this drive T3500-2), and used IFL to restore from the files on the external drive. Afterwards, the computer would not boot.

I used BootitBM to check T2500-2 to verify the transfer actually occurred, The system reserved and MBR 1 (C: drive) partitions are there, and have the correct file sizes. But, extended partitions from earlier work are still there. I was warned that everything would be erased, but maybe that only applies to the C: and system reserved drives that I restored.

I reconnected the original drive as the primary, and T3500-2 as the secondary, and used Directory Opus, an improved aftermarket Windows Explorer, to view both drives. T3500-2 has the system reserved and the C: drive, but with different drive letters. However, I think new letters are assigned automatically to avoid duplication.

I tested the C: drive equivalent on T3500-2, opening word documents, starting IE, etc., and had no problems.

I wanted to use a file compare program to compare the two system reserved files, but it is too well hidden on the original drive to access it.

So, T3500-2 will not boot. Bootit BM displays the C: drive (MBR 1) and system reserved drives, and file sizes are correct. Both are partitions using HPFS/NTFS. Tests indicate the C: drive works, and I know T3500-2 is a good drive. There are many choices when creating .tbi files and restoring, and I attempted to use identical choices with the C: and system reserved drives.
TAC109

Post by TAC109 »

On Tue, 27 May 2014 11:00:37 PDT, Jim22 wrote:

>snipSo, T3500-2 will not boot. Bootit BM displays the C: drive (MBR 1) and system reserved drives, and file sizes are correct. Both are partitions using HPFS/NTFS. Tests indicate the C: drive works, and I know T3500-2 is a good drive. There are many choices when creating .tbi files and restoring, and I attempted to use identical choices with the C: and system reserved drives.
>
There are probably issues with the order of the partitions on the
restored disk MBR being different to that on your imaged HD.

If you boot your Win7 installation or recovery DVD with only your
non-booting HD attached, and select 'System recovery', then 'Startup
repair', this should sort it out.

See http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=411 for more
details.
Jim22

Post by Jim22 »

Thanks for the tip. The System Recovery disk fixed the problem.

The correct partition (System Reserved) was set active, so the problem was elsewhere. I'm sure others have made separate image files for the System Reserved and C: partitions, so I'll need to go back and review my steps again. Until it is solved, I'll continue to use the System Recovery disk.

Jim
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Jim,

When you did your restore, did you select the option to update the boot partition? This would need to be enabled when restoring the Windows partition (the System Reserved partition would have been restored first).

For example:
1. Create backup of System Reserved partition and Windows partition.
2. Remove original drive and install new drive.
3. Restore System Reserved partition: Enable "Set Active" option. Enable the "Restore Disk Signature" if you want/need to keep it.
4. Restore Windows partition: Enable the "Update Boot Partition" option.
Jim22

Post by Jim22 »

Hi Paul:
I used your settings, and the restored hard drive boots with no problems. You were a super help!
Jim