Unable to obtain a lock, boot sector cleared

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Fracso

Unable to obtain a lock, boot sector cleared

Post by Fracso »

I was trying to restore a backup from a WinPE boot medium with IFW 2.89. The backup was in an external USB disk.

A message appeared “Unable to obtain a lock on drive C:. The volume is in use by an application or Windows itself …”

After I closed this window, another one appeared. It said that “the boot sector had been cleared due to partial modification”, or something similar. When I tried to reboot, no operating system was found. I did a hard reset and tried again. This time all was “normal”, the backup was restored successfully.

This left me with two questions:

Why was the program unable to lock on C:? I was working from a boot medium.
Why an inability to lock results in the clearing of the boot sector and an unbootable system?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Unable to obtain a lock, boot sector cleared

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

If IFW is unable to get a lock on the partition it's normally because something is open on it or accessing it. This could be a Command Prompt, a file, a program, etc.

With no boot sector the partition won't show up and nothing would be able to use it -- just as if you deleted the partition before doing the restore. The boot sector is deleted if the restore did not complete successfully (the partition is in an unknown/invalid state).

Were you restoring just the C: partition or was another partition involved?

Were you using the TBWinPE boot media or a custom/alternate WinPE build?
Fracso

Post by Fracso »

Only the C partition was involved. It´s a Windows 7 x64 system, C is the boot partition. The WinPE I used was built from an ISO file created with TBWinPE and WAIK, with USB 3.0 drivers added.

No command prompt was open, no program was running that I was aware of.

I don´t know if this is relevant, but the whole chain of events was this:

I used a multiboot USB key that I built recently. It contains the IFW WinPE and another WinPE.

I installed today´s updates from Windows Update and rebooted. Connected the boot USB key and the USB disc, rebooted, in the boot menu selected the USB key and then IFW, and ran the processes to create and validate the image. Both processes finished successfully. I rebooted with the boot USB key and the USB disc connected. The reboot hanged with a blank screen (not common in my experience with this computer).

After waiting for some minutes I did a hard reset. The computer entered into the Windows repair program. After a few minutes it reported that the boot couldn´t be repaired and the computer was turned off. I disconnected the USB devices and rebooted. This time the reboot was normal.

I worked for half an hour or so and didn´t notice any problem, but decided to restore the image to check it. I connected again the boot USB key and the USB external disc, rebooted, selected IFW and went directly to restore the image. The rest is what I described in the first post.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

The latest versions would give you the option to dismount the target drive.
The clear of boot sector should only occur when data has been written to the
partition which occurs after a lock - if it doesn't lock it doesn't do
anything if canceled.

"Fracso" wrote in message news:8025@public.image...

I was trying to restore a backup from a WinPE boot medium with IFW 2.89. The
backup was in an external USB disk.

A message appeared "Unable to obtain a lock on drive C:. The volume is in
use by an application or Windows itself ?"

After I closed this window, another one appeared. It said that "the boot
sector had been cleared due to partial modification", or something similar.
When I tried to reboot, no operating system was found. I did a hard reset
and tried again. This time all was "normal", the backup was restored
successfully.

This left me with two questions:

Why was the program unable to lock on C:? I was working from a boot medium.
Why an inability to lock results in the clearing of the boot sector and an
unbootable system?

Fracso

Post by Fracso »

That´s exactly what I'd expect, being able to cancel the process if no lock was possible.

But there wasn´t any chance to cancel the process before the boot sector was cleared. I only got a notification that it had been cleared.
Endrio

Post by Endrio »

Hello, I need desperately your help. I had saved some files and the file-names contain some Russian letters. When I am trying to extract them with TBVIEW I am getting the following error:

We offer up to date [url=http://www.braindumps.com/MCSA-SQL-Server-2012.htm]sql server - certification - training[/url] exam practice questions with [url=http://www.braindumps.com/ISEB-certification.htm]iseb - pass4sure - braindumps.com[/url] paced test engine to help you pass [url=http://www.ku.edu/]ku[/url] exam and complete your [url=http://www.bfit.edu/]www.bentley.edu[/url] you should also find
Last edited by Endrio on Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

use the latest unicode version.

"Endrio" wrote in message news:9082@public.image...

Hello, I need desperately your help. I had saved some files and the
file-names contain some Russian letters. When I am trying to extract them
with TBVIEW I am getting the following error: