Page 1 of 1
Image for DOS and UEFI
Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:08 pm
by IHipschman
Sorry for the ignorance. I just got a Windows 8.1 64 bit system with UEFI BIOS and don't understand the issues here. I use IFD and my backups seem to be working. Am I missing something? How would I know if there is a problem?
Thanks
Re: Image for DOS and UEFI
Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:33 pm
by Brian K
IHipschman wrote:
I just got a Windows 8.1 64 bit system with UEFI
> BIOS and don't understand the issues here. I use IFD and my backups seem to
> be working.
IHipschman,
Does this help?
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=572
Re: Image for DOS and UEFI
Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:12 pm
by IHipschman
According to the article the problem would only be with booting from the boot CD I created with Image for DOS. I installed Windows myself and am having no trouble booting from the IFD CD, so if I understand the issue correctly, there is no problem on my machine. Please let me know if I am wrong.
Thanks,
IHipschman
Re: Image for DOS and UEFI
Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:39 pm
by Brian K
It sounds like Windows has been installed in MBR mode and not UEFI mode. What partitions do you have in Disk Management?
Re: Image for DOS and UEFI
Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:05 pm
by TeraByte Support
Some systems can boot in multiple modes (UEFI or Normal) without any hassle.
Some can even handle HDD booting simply by booting UEFI mode if GPT exists
otherwise normal mode.
"Brian K" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
It sounds like Windows has been installed in MBR mode and not UEFI mode.
What partitions do you have in Disk Management?
Re: Image for DOS and UEFI
Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:22 am
by IHipschman
I have two hard drives. The primary one has a System Reserved Partition followed by the C: partition which contains Windows, and then two more partitions, one of which I use for data and another as a scratch partition for transferring data from an old machine. So 4 partitions in all.
I use the second physical drive as a check of my image backups. That is I back up the partitions on the primary drive to DVD's with IFD and then restore them to the second drive to be sure the backup worked. So the partitions on the second drive look just like the first but with different drive letters.
Hope this isn't more information than you needed.
It sounds like you guys are saying that IFD will work OK on my system.
Thanks again,
Ivan
Re: Image for DOS and UEFI
Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:48 am
by Brian K
Ivan,
That's not a UEFI install. Your computer will work fine with IFD, BIBM, etc.
Re: Image for DOS and UEFI
Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:30 am
by Brian K
TeraByte Support wrote:
> Some systems can boot in multiple modes (UEFI or Normal) without any
> hassle.
> Some can even handle HDD booting simply by booting UEFI mode if GPT exists
>
> otherwise normal mode.
Amazing. I didn't know that so I tried it on my son's Win8.1 UEFI system. Asus Sabertooth Z87 motherboard. IFD and BIBM UFDs boot in normal mode without making any UEFI BIOS changes.