Moving Win7 to SSD (with complications)
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:05 am
Here's what I have, want to do, and have planned. I'd appreciate any suggestions and warnings.
I have HD0: boot partition (FAT16); WinXP partition (FAT32); Win7 system partition (NTFS); several other partitions.
HD1: several partitions, mostly FAT32.
I want to move the HD0 boot partition and Win7 system partitions to a new SSD.
The plan so far, using IFW with global settings Align Partitions on 2048 sectors and Assume Same Target System:
1) Copy the FAT16 boot partition to the SDD w/options Set Active; Update BOOT.INI; Update Boot Partition; Copy First Track.
2) Copy the NTFS Win7 system partition to the SSD.
3) Reboot to BIBM, and change the file system IDs of the HD0 boot partition and Win7 system partition to Linux native (so that when rebooting to Win7 & XP, the OS will ignore these HD0 partitions which have been duplicated on the SSD).
4) Reboot, and in the BIOS, set SSD as boot drive.
I'm also concerned about being able to continue dual booting 7/XP, but I know how to update boot.ini myself if necessary. And I know that under XP, I'll probably have to do some Drive Manager work with drive letter assignments.
Any input about this plan is welcome. Thanks.
I have HD0: boot partition (FAT16); WinXP partition (FAT32); Win7 system partition (NTFS); several other partitions.
HD1: several partitions, mostly FAT32.
I want to move the HD0 boot partition and Win7 system partitions to a new SSD.
The plan so far, using IFW with global settings Align Partitions on 2048 sectors and Assume Same Target System:
1) Copy the FAT16 boot partition to the SDD w/options Set Active; Update BOOT.INI; Update Boot Partition; Copy First Track.
2) Copy the NTFS Win7 system partition to the SSD.
3) Reboot to BIBM, and change the file system IDs of the HD0 boot partition and Win7 system partition to Linux native (so that when rebooting to Win7 & XP, the OS will ignore these HD0 partitions which have been duplicated on the SSD).
4) Reboot, and in the BIOS, set SSD as boot drive.
I'm also concerned about being able to continue dual booting 7/XP, but I know how to update boot.ini myself if necessary. And I know that under XP, I'll probably have to do some Drive Manager work with drive letter assignments.
Any input about this plan is welcome. Thanks.