Page 1 of 1

Use File (Direct) or File (OS) Access Method when backing up

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:07 am
by Jim22
I am using Image for Linux to back up to an external USB hard drive. Is Direct or OS the Access Method the best choice?

The User guide says "In most cases, when using physical drives attached to the system, it’s easier to use File (Direct), especially when using the Image for Linux boot media." My drive is not directly connected to the system; it is connected to the USB port.

About 5 years ago I made some backups to external USB drives. I guessed on this choice, and don't recall what I did. What problems occur if I select the incorrect Access Method?

Jim

Re: Use File (Direct) or File (OS) Access Method when backin

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:18 am
by Jim22
I forgot to mention that I'm running Win XP

Re: Use File (Direct) or File (OS) Access Method when backing up

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:02 am
by TeraByte Support
USB would be a direct connection and File (direct) is what I use. File (os)
may be a little faster, but you have to go through the mounting process and
ensure you umount before disconnecting.


"Jim22" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

I am using Image for Linux to back up to an external USB hard drive. Is
Direct or OS the Access Method the best choice?

The User guide says "In most cases, when using physical drives attached to
the system, it's easier to use File (Direct), especially when using the
Image for Linux boot media." My drive is not directly connected to the
system; it is connected to the USB port.

About 5 years ago I made some backups to external USB drives. I guessed on
this choice, and don't recall what I did. What problems occur if I select
the incorrect Access Method?

Jim


Re: Use File (Direct) or File (OS) Access Method when backin

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:51 pm
by Jim22
Thanks for the info. Just what I wanted to know.
Jim