Unable to use IFL UEFI mode to image laptop
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:02 pm
I just got a new laptop with UEFI and GPT partitions and I wanted to image it before doing anything much on it. I had run Windows 8.1 once and disabled fast boot. I wanted to make as few changes to the setup as possible so I just disabled secure boot but left it in UEFI mode.
Up to now I had only used legacy and MBR. After reading on the TB forums I decided to try IFL GUI for the first time. I was much impressed by the "eye-candy" of the modern interface with it's Apple like tray at the top and also the range of tools on this. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to make a copy of the system on an external drive. At first it said there were problems with the external drive and I needed to run chkdsk -f. So I attached the external drive to a Windows system, deleted the volume then recreated one and formatted it.
When I got back to IFL and tried again it said there was no free space on the drive. Next time I tried it, it said unable to write to /dex-0.tbi. This doesn't seem right - although dex was the file name I chose, it seemed to imply it was trying to create a file on the root of the Linux system, which was on a separate USB stick.
I gave up and set the laptop into legacy mode, booted up IFD GUI via USB stick and it's now recording on the USB external drive quite happily (fortunately).
It's a pity I couldn't get IFL to work as it seems potentially a great tool. Maybe it's a bit early in its development and is more buggy than IFD?
Up to now I had only used legacy and MBR. After reading on the TB forums I decided to try IFL GUI for the first time. I was much impressed by the "eye-candy" of the modern interface with it's Apple like tray at the top and also the range of tools on this. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to make a copy of the system on an external drive. At first it said there were problems with the external drive and I needed to run chkdsk -f. So I attached the external drive to a Windows system, deleted the volume then recreated one and formatted it.
When I got back to IFL and tried again it said there was no free space on the drive. Next time I tried it, it said unable to write to /dex-0.tbi. This doesn't seem right - although dex was the file name I chose, it seemed to imply it was trying to create a file on the root of the Linux system, which was on a separate USB stick.
I gave up and set the laptop into legacy mode, booted up IFD GUI via USB stick and it's now recording on the USB external drive quite happily (fortunately).
It's a pity I couldn't get IFL to work as it seems potentially a great tool. Maybe it's a bit early in its development and is more buggy than IFD?