Page 1 of 1

Updating from WinXP to Win7; Restoring files and programs

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:31 pm
by jdmcgehee
I am about to upgrade from WinXP to Win7. My hardware checks out ok, but the MS update adviser says I'll have to reinstall all my applications after doing updating. If the first app I reinstall is IFD (v2.81), will I be able to restore my files (located on a separate internal HD)? How do I selectively restore so that I don't put XP (and the other apps) on the C drive? What procedure do you recommend? What gotcha's should I look out for?
Thanks,
-jim

Re: Updating from WinXP to Win7; Restoring files and programs

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:16 pm
by DrTeeth
On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 13:31:49 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
jdmcgehee disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>What procedure do you recommend?

You will HAVE to reinstall your applications but you can transfer the
data.
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.

Re: Updating from WinXP to Win7; Restoring files and programs

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:24 pm
by mjnelson99
If I was doing that, I would copy the various files I want saved to a
partition separate from where Windows is. I already pretty much keep
those on a separate partition now.

Then you will probably not need to do a restore at all.

If you miss something important, TBIView can allow you to get that
separately from an image.

Mary


On 3/22/2014 2:31 PM, jdmcgehee wrote:
> I am about to upgrade from WinXP to Win7. My hardware checks out ok, but the MS update adviser says I'll have to reinstall all my applications after doing updating. If the first app I reinstall is IFD (v2.81), will I be able to restore my files (located on a separate internal HD)? How do I selectively restore so that I don't put XP (and the other apps) on the C drive? What procedure do you recommend? What gotcha's should I look out for?
> Thanks,
> -jim
>
>

Re: Updating from WinXP to Win7; Restoring files and program

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:56 pm
by jdmcgehee
Thanks Mary, DrT,
Sounds like it's no big deal. That's what I wanted to hear!

Re: Updating from WinXP to Win7; Restoring files and program

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:30 pm
by mjnelson99
If you don't want or need the 100 MB (200 MB?) partition in Win 7,
you can format & mark active before installation. Then Win 7 will put
all files on C: (if that is where you want it).

If installing Win 7 Home Premium, it is not essential.
Boot files will all be with Windows itself.

As I understand it, that partition is necessary for
Win 7 Pro in some instances.

If on a laptop, get the drivers before installing as well.
Audio, Video, networking and whatever else your laptop manufacturer
offers. Same may apply to a desktop as well.

On my computer I could not even have gotten on the internet to get them
without having the networking drivers available first.

Mary

On 3/22/2014 4:56 PM, jdmcgehee wrote:
> Thanks Mary, DrT,
> Sounds like it's no big deal. That's what I wanted to hear!
>
>

Re: Updating from WinXP to Win7; Restoring files and program

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:31 pm
by mjnelson99
If you don't want or need the 100 MB (200 MB?) partition in Win 7,
you can format & mark active before installation. Then Win 7 will put
all files on C: (if that is where you want it).

If installing Win 7 Home Premium, it is not essential.
Boot files will all be with Windows itself.

As I understand it, that partition is necessary for
Win 7 Pro in some instances.

If on a laptop, get the drivers before installing as well.
Audio, Video, networking and whatever else your laptop manufacturer
offers. Same may apply to a desktop as well.

On my computer I could not even have gotten on the internet to get them
without having the networking drivers available first.

Mary

On 3/22/2014 4:56 PM, jdmcgehee wrote:
> Thanks Mary, DrT,
> Sounds like it's no big deal. That's what I wanted to hear!
>
>

Re: Updating from WinXP to Win7; Restoring files and program

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:32 pm
by mjnelson99
Weird. I got a message that the message below could not be sent.
Then it appeared here anyway.

Glad it did.

Mary

On 3/22/2014 5:30 PM, MJNelson wrote:
> If you don't want or need the 100 MB (200 MB?) partition in Win 7,
> you can format & mark active before installation. Then Win 7 will put
> all files on C: (if that is where you want it).
>
> If installing Win 7 Home Premium, it is not essential.
> Boot files will all be with Windows itself.
>
> As I understand it, that partition is necessary for
> Win 7 Pro in some instances.
>
> If on a laptop, get the drivers before installing as well.
> Audio, Video, networking and whatever else your laptop manufacturer
> offers. Same may apply to a desktop as well.
>
> On my computer I could not even have gotten on the internet to get them
> without having the networking drivers available first.
>
> Mary
>
> On 3/22/2014 4:56 PM, jdmcgehee wrote:
>> Thanks Mary, DrT,
>> Sounds like it's no big deal. That's what I wanted to hear!
>>
>>
>
>

Re: Updating from WinXP to Win7; Restoring files and program

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:45 pm
by DrTeeth
On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 16:31:14 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
MJNelson disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>As I understand it, that partition is necessary for
>Win 7 Pro in some instances.

If one uses Bitlocker AIUI. If one enables Bitlocker, the partition
will be created - and that will corrupt things if partitions are
unlimited in BIBM.
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.