Do I only need Asume Same Target system?
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:36 am
Hello,
After studying the IFD CUI v2.88 manual as deep as my knowledge permits, I still didn't find the options to select so I can be confident with the back-ups I want to do... So I decided to make a post to the forums! Let me describe my case:
I have an old laptop with a FRESH install of Windows XP on a 120GB partition of a 320GB hard disk (28-bit LBA BIOS); the rest of the drive is unpartitioned (unallocated space).
What I want is to backup (full) this (system) partition, but by putting the disk temporarily to my desktop to do this, because the laptop only has a slow USB 1.1 and a not very well working CD-RW (not DVD-RW).
The backup (image) of this partition must be done in a way to be able to serve 2 future options: 1st to be able to restore in the same 120GB partition of the 320GB disk and 2nd to be able to restore in another 80GB disk I have around which will be prepared as one primary 80GB partition.
What I understand is that I have the combination of 2 "problems": 1st the case where both the backup and the restore process will take place in another machine (my desktop) and 2nd the case of restoring to another and especially smaller hard disk.
To overcome the 2nd case and be on the safe side as well, I understood that I need to make a backup of the partition as it is (preserving the original - and also serving the need to restore in the same hard disk) and then make a second backup with the compact option (since it is a fresh install it will work; I hope it can "compact" to less than 80GB - would 60-70GB be enough?).
About the 1st case i.e. the fact that all IFD operations will take place in my desktop computer, these are my thoughts for the options below, when making the IFD v2.88 boot disk:
1. "Disable Align MBR for BIOS Auto Mode" (not sure; all partitions were / will be prepared before restore process...)
2. check "Assume same target system" (right?)
3. check "Use Windows 9x MBR" (since all partitions were made and will be made by Partition Magic v8.01 diskettes - wouldn't that preserve IFD make any alternations to an old-type MBR?)
4. check "Disable Automatic Scaling Restrictions" (wouldn't that help me later expand the 60-70GB partition image to the new disk's 80GB one? - or it doesn't make any difference with partition and is only for disks)
5. check "Disable Automatic Boot Partition Updates" (isn't it better not IFD alter anything more since in any case there always be one partition?)
6. check "Disable Automatic Restore Drive Search" (I prefer to have control myself - does it matter?)
7. check "Disable Validate Geometry Before Use" (isn't better to prevent IFD alter anything to Geometry to align it to known standards? - since original system (notebook) already works with that geometry)
During the Restore partition process:
8. "Set Active": since in both cases of restoring either to the original 120GB or the new 80GB partitions there will be no other partitions to the disks, I guess it doesn't matter if I won't check this option?
9. "Update BOOT.INI": well, when restoring to the original 120GB, it shouldn't be checked. To the new 80GB? It will be in the same location on the disk, i.e. c:\ so maybe shouldn't be checked either, right?
10. uncheck "Update Boot Partition" even for the case of the 80GB disk where the target (80GB) disk is different from the original (120GB) hard disk, since in both disks there is/will be only one partition (boot&system), OK?
11. "Write Standard MBR Code": in case I restore to the original 120GB partition - no, in case of the new 80GB disk? If it will previously be formatted as a primary partition of 80GB? Still no?
12. "Restore Disk Signature": I think it COULD be checked for restoring to the original 120GB drive and SHOULD be checked for restoring to the new 80GB. Are both my conclusions right?
13. "Restore First Track": this puzzles me a lot: I can understand it doesn't need to be checked when restoring to the original 120GB. But to the new 80GB? Is it too powerful command to use or it is needed?
14. "Move to Original MBR Entry": I think it would be good to Windows as well (not only to Linux) as manual mentions... Am I wrong? (of course it should only be applied with my 80GB case?)
15. "Assume Original HD": I assume this should be check in both my cases since alhough in my desktop the notebook's drive (either the original 120GB or the new 80GB - although NOT exactly the "Original HD") may get another number, when finally be put back in the notebook it MUST have the original drive number so the "applicable drive references residing within the restored partitions" should NOT "be updated to reflect the new hard drive number"! Am I right of checking this option too or maybe this option is handdled anyway by the "Assume same target system" in the beginning?
16. "Change Volume SN": now I understand this should NOT be checked in any case. I mean since the 120GB or the 80GB will never be put together in either in my desktop or my notebook, the volums sn should not be changed. Wouldn't the change to volume sn give XP problems and need to validate again? I NEED to avoid that in the future: who knows when Microsoft will stop validating XP...
17. "First Track Sectors": well how many things could be hidden in those sectors... Is "Restore First Track" more powerfull, so I needn't check this? Is "Restore First Track" too powerful to select and so I should select only "First Track Sectors" especially to the new 80GB? In case only the less powerfull "First Track Sectors" is needed, how many sectors should I put? My main worry is for when restoring to the new 80GB drive I need IFD to set it up as much the same as the original 120GB, thus preventing XP to see any differencies and start asking for validations again...
18 AND LAST: "Resize Partition": OK, not an option for restoring to the original 120GB partition, but could it be for the new 80GB? As I set before restoring to the smaller 80GB, I will make a backup with "Compact" option of about 60-70GB just to be on the safe size. Is this the option I could check to expand this 60-70GB to an 80GB partition, thus taking advantage of the full 80 GB of the new hard disk? Or a seperate partitioning program is needed for expanding the 60-70GB partition after restrored to 80GB?
How so many questions, how so many things puzzle me, how so many options for your powerfull IFD. Sometimes I think I'm maybe worrying too much, all these options may be there for special and weird cases and not for me. Then I'm thinking that maybe the prepare of a backup of the notebook's system XP partition to be able to BOTH restore to the original hard disk AND to a new smaller hard disk with the combination of the fact that the whole backup - restore process have to take place in my desktop PC AND my need to "fool" Windows XP that nothing has happened (in the case of the smaller hard disk of course) is not just an every day case. Maybe it IS a complicated case where some of the more advanced IFD options should come into play...
What can I say, I would be very grateful even with a YES or NO for my 18 questions. I wouldn't want any further explanations although I'm eager to deeper understand; I'm not asking for lessons, just to get my job done at this point since all us XP users are trying to backup a fully M$ updated installation of Windows, before 8 April...
Thank you all (who will even try to read my long post) and those who will also answer in advance..
After studying the IFD CUI v2.88 manual as deep as my knowledge permits, I still didn't find the options to select so I can be confident with the back-ups I want to do... So I decided to make a post to the forums! Let me describe my case:
I have an old laptop with a FRESH install of Windows XP on a 120GB partition of a 320GB hard disk (28-bit LBA BIOS); the rest of the drive is unpartitioned (unallocated space).
What I want is to backup (full) this (system) partition, but by putting the disk temporarily to my desktop to do this, because the laptop only has a slow USB 1.1 and a not very well working CD-RW (not DVD-RW).
The backup (image) of this partition must be done in a way to be able to serve 2 future options: 1st to be able to restore in the same 120GB partition of the 320GB disk and 2nd to be able to restore in another 80GB disk I have around which will be prepared as one primary 80GB partition.
What I understand is that I have the combination of 2 "problems": 1st the case where both the backup and the restore process will take place in another machine (my desktop) and 2nd the case of restoring to another and especially smaller hard disk.
To overcome the 2nd case and be on the safe side as well, I understood that I need to make a backup of the partition as it is (preserving the original - and also serving the need to restore in the same hard disk) and then make a second backup with the compact option (since it is a fresh install it will work; I hope it can "compact" to less than 80GB - would 60-70GB be enough?).
About the 1st case i.e. the fact that all IFD operations will take place in my desktop computer, these are my thoughts for the options below, when making the IFD v2.88 boot disk:
1. "Disable Align MBR for BIOS Auto Mode" (not sure; all partitions were / will be prepared before restore process...)
2. check "Assume same target system" (right?)
3. check "Use Windows 9x MBR" (since all partitions were made and will be made by Partition Magic v8.01 diskettes - wouldn't that preserve IFD make any alternations to an old-type MBR?)
4. check "Disable Automatic Scaling Restrictions" (wouldn't that help me later expand the 60-70GB partition image to the new disk's 80GB one? - or it doesn't make any difference with partition and is only for disks)
5. check "Disable Automatic Boot Partition Updates" (isn't it better not IFD alter anything more since in any case there always be one partition?)
6. check "Disable Automatic Restore Drive Search" (I prefer to have control myself - does it matter?)
7. check "Disable Validate Geometry Before Use" (isn't better to prevent IFD alter anything to Geometry to align it to known standards? - since original system (notebook) already works with that geometry)
During the Restore partition process:
8. "Set Active": since in both cases of restoring either to the original 120GB or the new 80GB partitions there will be no other partitions to the disks, I guess it doesn't matter if I won't check this option?
9. "Update BOOT.INI": well, when restoring to the original 120GB, it shouldn't be checked. To the new 80GB? It will be in the same location on the disk, i.e. c:\ so maybe shouldn't be checked either, right?
10. uncheck "Update Boot Partition" even for the case of the 80GB disk where the target (80GB) disk is different from the original (120GB) hard disk, since in both disks there is/will be only one partition (boot&system), OK?
11. "Write Standard MBR Code": in case I restore to the original 120GB partition - no, in case of the new 80GB disk? If it will previously be formatted as a primary partition of 80GB? Still no?
12. "Restore Disk Signature": I think it COULD be checked for restoring to the original 120GB drive and SHOULD be checked for restoring to the new 80GB. Are both my conclusions right?
13. "Restore First Track": this puzzles me a lot: I can understand it doesn't need to be checked when restoring to the original 120GB. But to the new 80GB? Is it too powerful command to use or it is needed?
14. "Move to Original MBR Entry": I think it would be good to Windows as well (not only to Linux) as manual mentions... Am I wrong? (of course it should only be applied with my 80GB case?)
15. "Assume Original HD": I assume this should be check in both my cases since alhough in my desktop the notebook's drive (either the original 120GB or the new 80GB - although NOT exactly the "Original HD") may get another number, when finally be put back in the notebook it MUST have the original drive number so the "applicable drive references residing within the restored partitions" should NOT "be updated to reflect the new hard drive number"! Am I right of checking this option too or maybe this option is handdled anyway by the "Assume same target system" in the beginning?
16. "Change Volume SN": now I understand this should NOT be checked in any case. I mean since the 120GB or the 80GB will never be put together in either in my desktop or my notebook, the volums sn should not be changed. Wouldn't the change to volume sn give XP problems and need to validate again? I NEED to avoid that in the future: who knows when Microsoft will stop validating XP...
17. "First Track Sectors": well how many things could be hidden in those sectors... Is "Restore First Track" more powerfull, so I needn't check this? Is "Restore First Track" too powerful to select and so I should select only "First Track Sectors" especially to the new 80GB? In case only the less powerfull "First Track Sectors" is needed, how many sectors should I put? My main worry is for when restoring to the new 80GB drive I need IFD to set it up as much the same as the original 120GB, thus preventing XP to see any differencies and start asking for validations again...
18 AND LAST: "Resize Partition": OK, not an option for restoring to the original 120GB partition, but could it be for the new 80GB? As I set before restoring to the smaller 80GB, I will make a backup with "Compact" option of about 60-70GB just to be on the safe size. Is this the option I could check to expand this 60-70GB to an 80GB partition, thus taking advantage of the full 80 GB of the new hard disk? Or a seperate partitioning program is needed for expanding the 60-70GB partition after restrored to 80GB?
How so many questions, how so many things puzzle me, how so many options for your powerfull IFD. Sometimes I think I'm maybe worrying too much, all these options may be there for special and weird cases and not for me. Then I'm thinking that maybe the prepare of a backup of the notebook's system XP partition to be able to BOTH restore to the original hard disk AND to a new smaller hard disk with the combination of the fact that the whole backup - restore process have to take place in my desktop PC AND my need to "fool" Windows XP that nothing has happened (in the case of the smaller hard disk of course) is not just an every day case. Maybe it IS a complicated case where some of the more advanced IFD options should come into play...
What can I say, I would be very grateful even with a YES or NO for my 18 questions. I wouldn't want any further explanations although I'm eager to deeper understand; I'm not asking for lessons, just to get my job done at this point since all us XP users are trying to backup a fully M$ updated installation of Windows, before 8 April...
Thank you all (who will even try to read my long post) and those who will also answer in advance..