Page 1 of 1

IFL - One Partition

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:51 am
by tbifan39
I am not sure if this question has been asked before, but here it goes...

I recently deleted my manufacturer's recovery partition and expanded the C: partition to the entire drive. When I choose the drive to backup. there are 2 check-boxes - Entire drive and partition. If I choose Entire drive, I have to choose Single-set or Multi-set. I understood this when I had 2 partitions. Now that I only got one partition, was is the difference between Entire drive and partition? Btw, the size is the same. Thanks.

Re: IFL - One Partition

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:05 am
by TeraByte Support(PP)
If you use the "Multi File" option when backing up an entire drive containing only one partition the backup will be created as a single partition backup with the "_0" filename suffix (e.g. mybackup_0.tbi). The backup will not be an entire drive backup -- it will be a partial.

Re: IFL - One Partition

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:02 am
by tbifan39
I am confused...what is the difference between Entire Drive and Partition when you only have one partition? I am assuming that something is NOT backed up when choosing partition. If I am right. what is it?

Re: IFL - One Partition

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:22 am
by TeraByte Support(PP)
I think the main difference is the options you have when you restore it -- entire drive restore vs. individual partition restore. You can always select just the partition from an entire drive image to restore it that way, but you can't restore a single partition partial image using entire drive options.

Use whichever method works best for you. Personally, I don't see any advantage in backing up a single partition drive as a single partition instead of the entire drive.

Re: IFL - One Partition

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:44 pm
by TeraByte Support
It's the way a restore would be treated.

"tbifan39" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

I am confused...what is the difference between Entire Drive and Partition
when you only have one partition? I am assuming that something is NOT backed
up when choosing partition. If I am right. what is it?