IFW/IFD hanging at bad block
Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:26 pm
I have a Toshiba Qosmio F60 with W7 Home Premium (32b). A couple of months ago it suddenly became impossible to do an image backup. Windows backup system image would fail at about 60%. I tried another third party imaging software and same with that. Checkdsk /R also hangs in stage 4 - just hanging even when left running all night. I bought Spinrite and checked and there are two bad "blocks" (marked as a single dot in the Spinrite UI), each consisting of some 40-50 sectors going from the Spinrite UI. Spinrite will just continuously loop through the same block, even when left running for a week!!!! without marking the two bad areas as bad or unrecoverable. If I jump forwards to avoid those two blocks the rest of the HDD is fine. Windows is running normally although every now and again it does hang requiring hard boot. The reason i am trying so hard is that my last backup previous to the problem did not complete and I find myself without any system image. I have the data backed up OK.
So, i tried Terebyte IFD and IFW. In both cases, it gets to 60% and just hangs - the backup drive stops blinking and the "time to complete" indication racks up to something silly like 78000 hours. I tried the "ignore I/O errors" in IFW and I tried the BIOS direct method with IFD and clicked yes when it came to the bad area and asked to ignore errors and continue but it them just hangs as described.
If there is a way with this product I would be very happy to purchase.
So, i tried Terebyte IFD and IFW. In both cases, it gets to 60% and just hangs - the backup drive stops blinking and the "time to complete" indication racks up to something silly like 78000 hours. I tried the "ignore I/O errors" in IFW and I tried the BIOS direct method with IFD and clicked yes when it came to the bad area and asked to ignore errors and continue but it them just hangs as described.
If there is a way with this product I would be very happy to purchase.