Default Options Defaulting the wrong way?
Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:54 pm
Backup and Restore operations seem to be using default operations that are not documented. What am I doing or assuming wrong?
Backup: /VB option being used, yet not requested.
Per your log file, backups seem to be made with the /VB option set, but byte-for-byte validation was not requested. (see below)
It should be noted that in most cases, PostValidate=0x1 means a standard validate. Only in the case of a COPY operation will PostValidate=0x1 check that each byte was copied.
Restore:
Restore: /csig and /nvn options are being used, yet not requested. Log seems to indicate otherwise. (see Below)
Where did the /CSIG and /NVN:"" come from? They are not the defaults, and I did not set them anywhere?
The manual states for : /csig : Default if omitted: Image for DOS will not change the restored disk signature, drive GUIDs, or partition GUIDs.
Here are my operating parameters:
--------------------------------
INI file:
[BACKUP_DEFAULTS]
Compression=12
PostValidate=0x1
MaxFileSize=4294966784
[HD1]
Align2048=1
--------------------------------
BACKUP:
Environment: ;u;hash;comp:13;max:4GiB;logl:4;logmax:1000000;logfile:\IFD.LOG;sch:d3@0x2:\;v;wco
Run Command : IMAGE.EXE /ue /b /base:d3@0x2:"\2014-03-01-1915-E_DRIVE-.TBI" /f:d3@0x2:"\$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$-E_DRIVE-(I)-"
log file:
[ 3/08/2014 3:00:33 am] C:\.\IMAGE.EXE /ue /b /base:d3@0x2:\2014-03-01-1915-E_DRIVE-.TBI /f:d3@0x2:\$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$-E_DRIVE-(I)-
[ 3/08/2014 3:00:36 am] Image for DOS 2.88
[ 3/08/2014 3:00:36 am] Starting ...
IMAGE.EXE /b /u /sch:d3@0x2:"\" /base:d3@0x2:"\2014-03-01-1915-E_DRIVE-" /f:d3@0x2:"\$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$-E_DRIVE-(I)-" /max:4GiB /v /vb /comp:13 /hash
[ 3/08/2014 3:00:39 am] Backup: Drive 0 (PATA) E_DRIVE Volume (3B7) 25604 MiB FAT-32
[ 3/08/2014 3:00:39 am] To: d3@0x2:\2014-03-08-0300-E_DRIVE-(I)-.TBI
[ 3/08/2014 3:01:05 am] INFO: Total Sectors:52436097 Total Allocated:6810720
[ 3/08/2014 3:01:05 am] INFO: 73 Sector(s) backed up
[ 3/08/2014 3:01:05 am] Validating: E_DRIVE Volume (3B7) 25604 MiB FAT-32
[ 3/08/2014 3:01:05 am] From: d3@0x2:\2014-03-08-0300-E_DRIVE-(I)-.TBI
[ 3/08/2014 3:01:05 am] Operation Completed with Error Code 0
[ 3/08/2014 3:01:05 am] Stop
--------------------------------
RESTORE:
Environment: ;u;hash;comp:13;max:4GiB;logl:4;logmax:1000000;logfile:\IFD.LOG;sch:d3@0x2:\;v;wco
Run Command : IMAGE
log file:
[ 3/07/2014 11:52:08 pm] Image for DOS 2.88
[ 3/07/2014 11:52:08 pm] Starting ...
IMAGE.EXE /r /d:d3@0x1 /f:d4@0x2:"\2014-03-01-1738-Win7(SSD32)-" /csig /v /wco /nvn:""
[ 3/07/2014 11:52:08 pm] Validating: Win7(SSD32) Partition (01) 60000 MiB Hidden HPFS/NTFS
[ 3/07/2014 11:52:08 pm] To: Drive 3 (PATA) Win7(SSD32) Partition (01) 60000 MiB Hidden HPFS/
[ 3/07/2014 11:52:08 pm] From: d4@0x2:\2014-03-01-1738-Win7(SSD32)-.TBI
[ 3/08/2014 12:00:16 am] Restoring: Win7(SSD32) Partition (01) 60000 MiB Hidden HPFS/NTFS
[ 3/08/2014 12:00:16 am] To: Drive 3 (PATA) Win7(SSD32) Partition (01) 60000 MiB Hidden HPFS/
[ 3/08/2014 12:00:16 am] From: d4@0x2:\2014-03-01-1738-Win7(SSD32)-.6
[ 3/08/2014 12:14:20 am] Operation Completed with Error Code 0
[ 3/08/2014 12:14:22 am] Stop
Backup: /VB option being used, yet not requested.
Per your log file, backups seem to be made with the /VB option set, but byte-for-byte validation was not requested. (see below)
It should be noted that in most cases, PostValidate=0x1 means a standard validate. Only in the case of a COPY operation will PostValidate=0x1 check that each byte was copied.
Restore:
Restore: /csig and /nvn options are being used, yet not requested. Log seems to indicate otherwise. (see Below)
Where did the /CSIG and /NVN:"" come from? They are not the defaults, and I did not set them anywhere?
The manual states for : /csig : Default if omitted: Image for DOS will not change the restored disk signature, drive GUIDs, or partition GUIDs.
Here are my operating parameters:
--------------------------------
INI file:
[BACKUP_DEFAULTS]
Compression=12
PostValidate=0x1
MaxFileSize=4294966784
[HD1]
Align2048=1
--------------------------------
BACKUP:
Environment: ;u;hash;comp:13;max:4GiB;logl:4;logmax:1000000;logfile:\IFD.LOG;sch:d3@0x2:\;v;wco
Run Command : IMAGE.EXE /ue /b /base:d3@0x2:"\2014-03-01-1915-E_DRIVE-.TBI" /f:d3@0x2:"\$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$-E_DRIVE-(I)-"
log file:
[ 3/08/2014 3:00:33 am] C:\.\IMAGE.EXE /ue /b /base:d3@0x2:\2014-03-01-1915-E_DRIVE-.TBI /f:d3@0x2:\$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$-E_DRIVE-(I)-
[ 3/08/2014 3:00:36 am] Image for DOS 2.88
[ 3/08/2014 3:00:36 am] Starting ...
IMAGE.EXE /b /u /sch:d3@0x2:"\" /base:d3@0x2:"\2014-03-01-1915-E_DRIVE-" /f:d3@0x2:"\$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$-E_DRIVE-(I)-" /max:4GiB /v /vb /comp:13 /hash
[ 3/08/2014 3:00:39 am] Backup: Drive 0 (PATA) E_DRIVE Volume (3B7) 25604 MiB FAT-32
[ 3/08/2014 3:00:39 am] To: d3@0x2:\2014-03-08-0300-E_DRIVE-(I)-.TBI
[ 3/08/2014 3:01:05 am] INFO: Total Sectors:52436097 Total Allocated:6810720
[ 3/08/2014 3:01:05 am] INFO: 73 Sector(s) backed up
[ 3/08/2014 3:01:05 am] Validating: E_DRIVE Volume (3B7) 25604 MiB FAT-32
[ 3/08/2014 3:01:05 am] From: d3@0x2:\2014-03-08-0300-E_DRIVE-(I)-.TBI
[ 3/08/2014 3:01:05 am] Operation Completed with Error Code 0
[ 3/08/2014 3:01:05 am] Stop
--------------------------------
RESTORE:
Environment: ;u;hash;comp:13;max:4GiB;logl:4;logmax:1000000;logfile:\IFD.LOG;sch:d3@0x2:\;v;wco
Run Command : IMAGE
log file:
[ 3/07/2014 11:52:08 pm] Image for DOS 2.88
[ 3/07/2014 11:52:08 pm] Starting ...
IMAGE.EXE /r /d:d3@0x1 /f:d4@0x2:"\2014-03-01-1738-Win7(SSD32)-" /csig /v /wco /nvn:""
[ 3/07/2014 11:52:08 pm] Validating: Win7(SSD32) Partition (01) 60000 MiB Hidden HPFS/NTFS
[ 3/07/2014 11:52:08 pm] To: Drive 3 (PATA) Win7(SSD32) Partition (01) 60000 MiB Hidden HPFS/
[ 3/07/2014 11:52:08 pm] From: d4@0x2:\2014-03-01-1738-Win7(SSD32)-.TBI
[ 3/08/2014 12:00:16 am] Restoring: Win7(SSD32) Partition (01) 60000 MiB Hidden HPFS/NTFS
[ 3/08/2014 12:00:16 am] To: Drive 3 (PATA) Win7(SSD32) Partition (01) 60000 MiB Hidden HPFS/
[ 3/08/2014 12:00:16 am] From: d4@0x2:\2014-03-01-1738-Win7(SSD32)-.6
[ 3/08/2014 12:14:20 am] Operation Completed with Error Code 0
[ 3/08/2014 12:14:22 am] Stop