New SSD with only partion image

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
hpigler

New SSD with only partion image

Post by hpigler »

Hello,

My SSD has issues (certain parts are not accessible any longer) and I cannot make an image from the whole SSD. I can make an image for my c-partition but only with the Image for Windows tool. Other imagine tools fail. What happens when I try to make an image of the whole disk is that half way through the imaging process the SSD becomes unavailable. Only a complete power down fixes the problem.
So now I have a replacement SSD but when I load the image the computer does not recognize the partition as a system partition.
Is there a white paper or instructions on how to get the MBR right in this case?
Thank you very much for any help extended.

Harry
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: New SSD with only partion image

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Did IFW report any errors when creating the backup of the Windows partition?

Does the original SSD have a System Reserved partition on it (usually, 100MB in size)? If so, it contains the booting files. Normally, you would back up and restore both the system partition and the Windows partition. If the drive type is GPT (on UEFI system) the procedure is still basically the same -- use both the EFI System partition and the Windows partition. If you can get those two it should work, but you'll lose any recovery/OEM partitions.

Otherwise, if the Windows partition contains the booting files you need to make sure it's set active and the BCD file has been updated properly. Note that if there were errors during the backup that problems may still exist.

What other partitions exist on the original SSD? Have you tried backing them up separately?

Do you have any old backups of the entire drive? You could restore an old backup and then restore just the current partition image(s).
hpigler

Post by hpigler »

Hello Paul,
Thank you!
Yes, I did get an error message from IFW that it could not read 128 sectors at xxxxxxx address. I tried a couple of times because sometimes it continues after I click OK and sometimes it reports other errors afterwards.

The SSD does have a System reserved partition and with what you just told me I will make an image of that one, too.

I don't have any other partition on the SSD beside those two.

I don't have an old complete image (big mistake, I know) but a co-worker has the same model. I will make an image from her computer, load it on my new SSD and then load my C-Drive. I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you for your help!
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

Windows validation may cause problems. Try to get your Windows install
code if possible before you do this.

Mary

On 2/19/2014 1:25 PM, hpigler wrote:
> Hello Paul,
> Thank you!
> Yes, I did get an error message from IFW that it could not read 128 sectors at xxxxxxx address. I tried a couple of times because sometimes it continues after I click OK and sometimes it reports other errors afterwards.
>
> The SSD does have a System reserved partition and with what you just told me I will make an image of that one, too.
>
> I don't have any other partition on the SSD beside those two.
>
> I don't have an old complete image (big mistake, I know) but a co-worker has the same model. I will make an image from her computer, load it on my new SSD and then load my C-Drive. I will let you know how it goes.
>
> Thank you for your help!
>
>
hpigler

Post by hpigler »

Thank you all for your response.

I was worried about the Windows validation too but so far it seems to be fine.

I got the SDD image from my co-worker and loaded it. The computer booted alright.
Then I loaded my Windows partition and at first it look alright, however if I do BCDEDIT I get an error message saying: the boot configuration store could not be opened. System cannot find the file specified.

When I load the image of the System partition the computer doesn't boot anymore - system cannot find bootable medium (or similar). So I reverted back to the complete HD image and then loaded my windows partition. so now I am stuck with the bcdedit error.

Should I reload the image again with another setting?

Thank you for your help.
TeraByte Support(PP)

When you restored, was it like this?
1. Restore entire drive image (no need to boot it at this point).
2. Restore your System Reserved partition, use "Set Active" option and "Restore Disk Signature" option.
3. Restore your Windows partition, use "Update Boot Partition" option (don't use "Set Active").
hpigler

Post by hpigler »

Almost,
1. restore entire drive
2. restore Windows partition, no switches
3. restore system reserved, no switches.
I know, I feel like an idiot. Your sequence makes a lot of sense and I will try this over the weekend.
Or do you suggest a different order/switch combination?

Thank you.
Harry
TeraByte Support(PP)

I would try the order and options I posted. The booting partition should exist when you restore the Windows partition. Also, you need to use the appropriate options so the booting files can be updated.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

You may just have the wrong partition - try all of them with bcdedit, then
you'll know which one has it.

"hpigler" wrote in message news:7577@public.image...

Thank you all for your response.

I was worried about the Windows validation too but so far it seems to be
fine.

I got the SDD image from my co-worker and loaded it. The computer booted
alright.
Then I loaded my Windows partition and at first it look alright, however if
I do BCDEDIT I get an error message saying: the boot configuration store
could not be opened. System cannot find the file specified.

When I load the image of the System partition the computer doesn't boot
anymore - system cannot find bootable medium (or similar). So I reverted
back to the complete HD image and then loaded my windows partition. so now I
am stuck with the bcdedit error.

Should I reload the image again with another setting?

Thank you for your help.

hpigler

Post by hpigler »

I just did the sequence as you recommended and things are better (I have my test mode back) but I still cannot run bcdedit.
I am not sure what the last comment regarding the wrong partition. I am not familiar with the BCDEDIT command, but my understanding is that it connects to the system partition, right?
So, the message still is: The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The system cannot find the file specified.

Any ideas? Should I run the system partition retrieve one more time?

Thank you.