Changing to SSD on laptop
Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:43 am
Hello. Is it possible to test a restored image using a SATA docking station before I disconnect and remove the old original HDD from the laptop. I haven't received the new SSD yet but I want to make all the necessary preparations before it arrives. I'm using IFL because that's what I'm used to. I have created two backup images to a 1TB external USB drive, one image of the whole disk with the manufacturers partitions, and the other image just of the C partition. I restored each of them in turn to a 320gb SATA drive in a docking station intending to see if they would boot. The drive was listed in the BIOS boot devices and was in the list when booting up with F12 but it wouldn't boot to the back up and just booted to the original HDD installed in the laptop. I thought at first it had worked but I noticed in 'Explorer' and Disk Management it was still booted to the installed original drive. Will I have to remove the original HDD before testing the backup?