adding software to IFL boot CD

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
EdBrady

adding software to IFL boot CD

Post by EdBrady »

Has anyone created instructions for adding software to the IFL boot disc? I'd love to add a pdf reader and GUI file manager, and feel reasonably comfortable doing this sort of thing in a regular linux install, but I'm clueless when it comes to doing this in the IFL boot disc environment.
TeraByte Support(TP)

Re: adding software to IFL boot CD

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

EdBrady wrote:
> Has anyone created instructions for adding software to the IFL boot disc?
> I'd love to add a pdf reader and GUI file manager, and feel reasonably
> comfortable doing this sort of thing in a regular linux install, but I'm
> clueless when it comes to doing this in the IFL boot disc environment.

The instructions would vary significantly depending on what is being added (if it's feasable/practical at all).

For simple things, such as adding an executable file or two with simple dependencies, it is possible to make that type of addition while creating a custom version of the IFL boot media from a Linux distribution, as covered in this tutorial:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... _linux.htm

While doing that, you can stop at the "IFL Boot Media Settings" screen while creating the IFL boot media, open another terminal window, become root, and go into the extracted IFL directory. There you will see an 'initrmfs' directory that contains the IFL root file system. Any files you copy into (or modify) inside that directory will be built into boot disk's root file system (initrmfs.gz) when you finish running the make script. That directory gets deleted from the IFL directory when the script finishes with it.

Doing this would be strictly a trial/error situation, since anything you add could have dependencies (shared libs, support files, etc) that the boot disk doesn't contain. It's not likely to work for a pdf reader or gui file manager.
EdBrady

Re: adding software to IFL boot CD

Post by EdBrady »

Thanks for the info. I'll do some experimenting and see what happens.