IFD NTFS Corruption after 2.86 IFD Backup
Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:03 am
I have a tbos script that executes (under bootitBM) 6 image.exe backups to a common (scsi) NTFS backup drive.
All 6 backups indicated successful completion in the IFD.log file
After a reboot, Windows indicated that the backup drive was not usable, and needed to be formatted.
I booted to TBOS and tried to mount the backup drive. TBOS indicated that the drive was not usable.
BOOTITBM -partition work- seemed to indicate that the partition was there, and was apparently usable.
I Booted back to Windows, Backup partition still not usable, and needs to be formatted. I did NOT format.
Ran checkdsf /f on the backup drive, just to see what would happen.
Chkdsk indicated that the NTFS primary MBR was corrupt, and that the secondary MBR would be validated.
After many index errors, and index rebuilds, the drive was apparently back in perfect working order.
5 of the backups created the correct .TBI backup files. the 6th backup did not create any backup files, or chkdsk removed them.
I ran my script again, this time all 6 backups were correctly created, and the backup drive was operable after reboot.
Question: The log indicated successful completion ( and I assume validation), yet something went wrong somewhere. Should I be running with an increased diagnostic level to help spot the error if it happens again? I've use this script for years, every week to backup my partitions. This was the first error of any kind, but this was the first backup execution since installing 2.86.
I should state that my script ends with a" bootndos /None " that takes me back to BOOTITBM.
All 6 backups indicated successful completion in the IFD.log file
After a reboot, Windows indicated that the backup drive was not usable, and needed to be formatted.
I booted to TBOS and tried to mount the backup drive. TBOS indicated that the drive was not usable.
BOOTITBM -partition work- seemed to indicate that the partition was there, and was apparently usable.
I Booted back to Windows, Backup partition still not usable, and needs to be formatted. I did NOT format.
Ran checkdsf /f on the backup drive, just to see what would happen.
Chkdsk indicated that the NTFS primary MBR was corrupt, and that the secondary MBR would be validated.
After many index errors, and index rebuilds, the drive was apparently back in perfect working order.
5 of the backups created the correct .TBI backup files. the 6th backup did not create any backup files, or chkdsk removed them.
I ran my script again, this time all 6 backups were correctly created, and the backup drive was operable after reboot.
Question: The log indicated successful completion ( and I assume validation), yet something went wrong somewhere. Should I be running with an increased diagnostic level to help spot the error if it happens again? I've use this script for years, every week to backup my partitions. This was the first error of any kind, but this was the first backup execution since installing 2.86.
I should state that my script ends with a" bootndos /None " that takes me back to BOOTITBM.