Page 1 of 1

IFL changes extended partition type after restore

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:31 pm
by Ed North
I'm using the latest IFL, 2.85 and have encountered a problem imaging and restoring one of my hard drives.

I do a full backup of a Linux / Windows hybrid installation and the backup image maintains the correct partition types. I checked using the command line -L option. The disk is partitioned as follows.

boot 01 type 83 linux
/ 02 type 83 linux
swap 03 type 82 swap
extended 04 type 5 extended
vol 0 05 type 83 linux
Windows 06 type 7 HPFS/NTFS

When I restore the image using IFL to the same or similar drives the extended partition gets changed to type f W95 Ext'd (LBA). The drive will not boot after restore. I tried changing it back to type 5 using fdisk but it still won't boot.

Any suggestions??

Ed

Re: IFL changes extended partition type after restore

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:24 am
by TeraByte Support
What does it do / say?

What linux kernel loader and version are you using?

The 0xF is correct.

I presume you mean you did an "entire drive" backup and then "entire drive"
restore? Do you have the global options "assume same target system"?.


"Ed North" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

I'm using the latest IFL, 2.85 and have encountered a problem imaging and
restoring one of my hard drives.

I do a full backup of a Linux / Windows hybrid installation and the backup
image maintains the correct partition types. I checked using the command
line -L option. The disk is partitioned as follows.

boot 01 type 83 linux
/ 02 type 83 linux
swap 03 type 82 swap
extended 04 type 5 extended
vol 0 05 type 83 linux
Windows 06 type 7 HPFS/NTFS

When I restore the image using IFL to the same or similar drives the
extended partition gets changed to type f W95 Ext'd (LBA). The drive will
not boot after restore. I tried changing it back to type 5 using fdisk but
it still won't boot.

Any suggestions??

Ed