"userX" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
What I am doing with the OSDTS Pro procedure and tutorial at this point is
to watch a portion of it and pause it, then to go into the real data files
and to apply the steps to see whether I can accomplish the same. I am also
referring back to the manual as need be for clarification. This helps in
that I am using different applications, ie., not VMware but Qemu. I have a
couple of questions.
(1) In the tutorial at the beginning a step is made to "Add Virtual Drive"
and then the physical computers hard drive is copied to it. When creating
this drive, a choice is made to use type "VMDK - Monolithic Sparse (SCSI)".
Since I already have a good backup file in TBI format, can I get the same
result by creating the same sort of VHD and simply choosing to Restore to
the Virtual Drive, instead of copying the whole thing again. Seems like I
would get to the same point?
>> You can do that, CopyP2V already has the option to do that for you.
(2) In the manual it mentions in several places the existence of a Linux
version of TBOSDT. I may need that one. As I have the Pro Suite version,
does it come in Linux flavor too? Where is it as I do not see it listed
among the download options for my account?
>> DOS/Windows/Linux/UEFI versions are all included in the download
(3) During the actual running of the OSDT Script, the first step is to
decide which drivers to remove if any. On what factors are we to base this
decision: whether to remove all, all but the storage drivers, or only CPU
drivers.
>> How different the system is.
(4) In the tutorial the new drivers are obtained from a subfolder made by
the VMware Workstation program, which, I assume are appropiate as the choice
because this VM will be run in that program. On the other hand, in my case
where the VM will be run in KVM/Qemu, I can obtain and use the Windows
drivers from here:
[
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGu ... ad_Drivers
](http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers/Download_Drivers)
.. Please take a glance at that page to see what I am referring to, and let
me know whether I seem to be "on the right track" in this regard.
>> Isn't that an old tutorial you're looking at? Anyway, you only need a
>> special driver if within the VM environment can't use the standard
>> windows drivers. CopyP2V takes care of most of that for you.
(5) While testing the procedure of installing drivers, in one instance the
driver installation failed with error code 76. How should one fix that
issue?
>> what was the exact messages that preceded that?
(6) One of the steps in the tutorial, right after all the drivers have been
replaced, is to change which HAL to be used, among which several are listed.
When I get to this point with my real data, the script says that "AMD64 only
uses a single HAL file". I assume that this would be true in my case too
even though I intend to use it as a guest with a Linux host; that is to say,
the difference is irrelevant and only one HAL would be used in this case
too. Therefore, I can disregard this step. Is that so?
>> Yes, if it's an X64 OS, you only have the one.