Page 1 of 1

Purge Option

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:50 pm
by AlanD
In using the Purge Option with IFW, I relied on the description in the
IFW manual:

"This option is used to delete image files that are n days old or older.
You can think of it as the number of days to retain images. It’s only
used during a command line backup and only processes the target folder
of the current file specified using the /f option. Care should be taken
as the purge occurs prior to the backup. As an option you can have the
purge take place only after a successful backup by providing n as a
negative number."

I use the option with the negative number 3, but the image folder
contains 4 images, which to me does not agree with the description above.

Please explain the apparent discrepancy, as it plainly says above:
"the number of days to retain images".

AlanD

Re: Purge Option

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:20 pm
by TAC109
I take it you are backing up once per day?

It may help if you think of a day as being an elapsed
time of 24 hours, 0 minutes and 0 seconds.
Check the date & time your images were created.

Re: Purge Option

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:12 pm
by AlanD
On 2013-11-30 3:20 PM, TAC109 wrote:
> I take it you are backing up once per day?
>
> It may help if you think of a day as being an elapsed
> time of 24 hours, 0 minutes and 0 seconds.
> Check the date & time your images were created.
>
>

I am backing up once per day.
Since I delete the hours/seconds from the image name, I cannot verify
that, but that rationale sure sounds right to me.

thank you

AlanD

Re: Purge Option

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:30 pm
by Brian K
AlanD wrote:
>

> Since I delete the hours/seconds from the image name, I cannot verify
> that,

Alan, the hours, mins, seconds are in Properties of the image file.

Re: Purge Option

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:47 pm
by AlanD
On 2013-11-30 5:30 PM, Brian K wrote:
> AlanD wrote:
>>
>
>> Since I delete the hours/seconds from the image name, I cannot verify
>> that,
>
> Alan, the hours, mins, seconds are in Properties of the image file.
>
>
Yep, see it, and the answer is, with n=3, you can have either 3 or 4
images at any given time.

AlanD