winre and windows 8.1 UEFI

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
now_john

winre and windows 8.1 UEFI

Post by now_john »

I am running Windows 8.1 UEFI. I installed IFW and used tbwinre to create a backup and restore the partition that contains windows. It seems simplest to use the automatic feature to make the restoration, but when I did it, it did not check the restoration byte for byte and I didn't see a way to enable that verification. I hope I am just missing something and someone here can enlighten me so I can add verification (after the restore). I tried to do it the normal way but must have set one of the options wrong because it failed the verification instantly. It really is a nice feature - loading the winre environment from the desktop with IFW available.

Is it possible to save log files when using IFW in winre? There is an option for it but I could not find the files if they were created.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: winre and windows 8.1 UEFI

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You can add the PostValidate option to the IFW.INI file:
[Restore_Defaults]
PostValidate=2

The IFW.LOG file is normally saved in the program folder. In TBWinRE the folder is "X:\Program Files\TeraByte Unlimited\Image for Windows\V2". However, if you have specified a location for the log and it's already in the INI file it may be saving it there instead. Note that drive letter assignments are often different in TBWinRE than Windows. For example, if you have IFW saving the log to E:\MyLogs in Windows, E: may be assigned to a different partition in TBWinRE. The log file location can also be set using Settings. If it's blank then the default location is used.
now_john

Re: winre and windows 8.1 UEFI

Post by now_john »

What does PostValidate=2 accomplish? I have never used IFW except in the recovery environment during the last week, so I am not familiar with how it operates. Have used all of the other products for many years. I have always preferred to make an image of an inactive partition. Is there a resource that tell about the parameters in the ifw.ini file?

added the next morning: I shouldn't ask such questions in the middle of the night. I see now that the manual answers these questions.