Anyone else using Samsung 840 SSD with IFW?
Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:14 pm
I'm having some strange problems with a new Samsung 840 SSD. See this thread <http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/vi ... f=4&t=1294> for details. In summary, I always get a byte for byte verification failure when imaging the SSD.
I've replaced the system memory, tried imaging from IFL, tried switching between VSS and PHYLOCK, tried different destination drives to save the image to (local, USB, network).
The failure (with IFW 2.85) is typically "DATA AS BACKED UP:" is a block of zeros, and "DATA NOW ON DISK:" is a block of typical hex data.
The drive boots and runs Windows 7 just fine. CHKDSK reports no problems. SFC /VERIFYONLY reports no problems.
The 840 has the latest firmware. Samsung "Magician" reports the drive is "Healthy", but doesn't appear to offer any real diagnostics.
I moved the drive to a different SATA port on the motherboard, and I replaced the SATA cable, but neither made any difference.
The motherboard is a GIgabyte GA P35 DS4 V4. The ICH9R SATA controllers are SATA 2, but the 840 SSD is capable of SATA3. AFAIK SATA is backward compatible.
Does anyone have a system using the 840 that is working properly with IFW?
I've ordered a Toshiba SSD to replace the 840, but I'm not sure how I'm going to RMA the Samsung if I can't demonstrate anything is wrong with it. Maybe they will accept the IFW logs as evidence of a problem?
I've replaced the system memory, tried imaging from IFL, tried switching between VSS and PHYLOCK, tried different destination drives to save the image to (local, USB, network).
The failure (with IFW 2.85) is typically "DATA AS BACKED UP:" is a block of zeros, and "DATA NOW ON DISK:" is a block of typical hex data.
The drive boots and runs Windows 7 just fine. CHKDSK reports no problems. SFC /VERIFYONLY reports no problems.
The 840 has the latest firmware. Samsung "Magician" reports the drive is "Healthy", but doesn't appear to offer any real diagnostics.
I moved the drive to a different SATA port on the motherboard, and I replaced the SATA cable, but neither made any difference.
The motherboard is a GIgabyte GA P35 DS4 V4. The ICH9R SATA controllers are SATA 2, but the 840 SSD is capable of SATA3. AFAIK SATA is backward compatible.
Does anyone have a system using the 840 that is working properly with IFW?
I've ordered a Toshiba SSD to replace the 840, but I'm not sure how I'm going to RMA the Samsung if I can't demonstrate anything is wrong with it. Maybe they will accept the IFW logs as evidence of a problem?