Cannot restore: volume in use persists ** RESOLVED **
Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:23 am
There are two drives on this PC - W7 on one (the O/S partition + SYSTEM), W8.1 on the other (the O/S and a data partition).
For many years, while booted into the W7 drive, I could both image and restore the other drive's 8.1 operating system from and to that drive's second partition.
Now, after upgrading the W8.1 drive to one with larger capacity, an attempt to restore warns "unable to obtain lock on drive J, the volume is in use."
** This also occurs when attempting to restore an 8.1 image from the external DRIVE F...so NO restoration is possible. I have reinstalled the copy of IFW that's in use on the Win 7 drive. **
Drive letter J is the 8.1 O/S partition, successfully imaged to drive K, which is that drive's second partition.
So now I want to restore the W8.1 O/S partition from its K second partition while booted into the other W7 drive.
Other than the larger 8.1 drive, the only change was a rebuild of the dual boot MBR, which altered it a bit. Bear with me.
WHEN BOOTED INTO the W7 DRIVE...
The W7 drive SYSTEM RESERVED partition is shown as "active, primary partition."
The W7 drive W7 O/S partition is shown as "boot, page file, crash dump, primary."
The W8.1 drive W8.1 O/S partition is shown as "system, active, primary partition."
The W81. drive second partition is shown as "logical drive."
WHEN BOOTED INTO THE W8 DRIVE...
The W7 drive SYSTEM RESERVED partition is shown as "active, primary partition."
The W7 drive O/S partition is shown as "primary partition."
The W8.1 drive W.8 O/S partition is shown as "system, boot, page file, active, crash dump, primary."
The W8.1 drive second partition is shown as "logical drive."
I have not clicked IGNORE, to force a dismount. This was never needed in the past and I fear it will foul the MBR.
If assured that this will do no harm I will give it a try.
What needs to be done to fix this, so I can image and restore 8.1 while in W7 ... and vice versa.
Thanks.
For many years, while booted into the W7 drive, I could both image and restore the other drive's 8.1 operating system from and to that drive's second partition.
Now, after upgrading the W8.1 drive to one with larger capacity, an attempt to restore warns "unable to obtain lock on drive J, the volume is in use."
** This also occurs when attempting to restore an 8.1 image from the external DRIVE F...so NO restoration is possible. I have reinstalled the copy of IFW that's in use on the Win 7 drive. **
Drive letter J is the 8.1 O/S partition, successfully imaged to drive K, which is that drive's second partition.
So now I want to restore the W8.1 O/S partition from its K second partition while booted into the other W7 drive.
Other than the larger 8.1 drive, the only change was a rebuild of the dual boot MBR, which altered it a bit. Bear with me.
WHEN BOOTED INTO the W7 DRIVE...
The W7 drive SYSTEM RESERVED partition is shown as "active, primary partition."
The W7 drive W7 O/S partition is shown as "boot, page file, crash dump, primary."
The W8.1 drive W8.1 O/S partition is shown as "system, active, primary partition."
The W81. drive second partition is shown as "logical drive."
WHEN BOOTED INTO THE W8 DRIVE...
The W7 drive SYSTEM RESERVED partition is shown as "active, primary partition."
The W7 drive O/S partition is shown as "primary partition."
The W8.1 drive W.8 O/S partition is shown as "system, boot, page file, active, crash dump, primary."
The W8.1 drive second partition is shown as "logical drive."
I have not clicked IGNORE, to force a dismount. This was never needed in the past and I fear it will foul the MBR.
If assured that this will do no harm I will give it a try.
What needs to be done to fix this, so I can image and restore 8.1 while in W7 ... and vice versa.
Thanks.