Page 1 of 1
Value of a TBwinRE Recovery Disc
Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:47 pm
by Bob Coleman
I started to put this in the recent "Creating a Recovery CD" topic (
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/vi ... f=4&t=1311), but decided to start new rather than sidetracking that topic.
Why would one want a TBWinRE recovery disc anyway? Wouldn't it be simpler to just use IFD for recovery?
Re: Value of a TBwinRE Recovery Disc
Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:13 am
by AaLF
Bob Coleman wrote:
> I started to put this in the recent "Creating a Recovery CD"
> topic (
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/vi ... f=4&t=1311),
> but decided to start new rather than sidetracking that topic.
>
> Why would one want a TBWinRE recovery disc anyway? Wouldn't it be simpler
> to just use IFD for recovery?
.................................end quote.....................
Hi Bob. I posted the "Creating a Recovery CD" thread because I'm one of the uneducated masses. TeraByte's claim to fame is they like to talk in techno jargon thus confusing people like me. The term "Recovery CD' is about the only words I can relate to . Hence I set about making one. Most likely a pre-conditioning hangover from the other programs who call for a CD so one can re-load their trashed C:drive. I haven't a clue what TBWinRE or IFD means. Nor do I really want to.
All i want know (in plain english) is how to restore a c:drive from a i4w back-up image that is stored in the e:drive partition?
Re: Value of a TBwinRE Recovery Disc
Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:48 am
by Brian K
Bob Coleman wrote:
> Why would one want a TBWinRE recovery disc anyway? Wouldn't it be simpler
> to just use IFD for recovery?
Bob,
Personal preference. IFD is fine but it might not work with your USB external HD so you need to use something else. In my computer, an IFW restore (in TBWinRE) runs 30% faster than an IFD restore. An IFL restore is marginally faster than an IFW restore. If you plan to automate your restores, each of the three apps can be automated.
Re: Value of a TBwinRE Recovery Disc
Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:29 pm
by Bob Coleman
30% faster. Well, that's one potentially good reason.
Side note: IFW image creation seems to take about 1.5 times as long as IFD image creation on my computer.
Re: Value of a TBwinRE Recovery Disc
Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:46 pm
by Bob Coleman
AaLF,
You apparently chose not to create an Image For Dos recovery disk during IFW installation.
Now, navigate the Start Menu: Image for Windows -> V2 -> Image for DOS -> IFD - Create Recovery Boot Disk". This should be a simpler way to create a recovery boot disk that's at least usable whether better or not.
Should that Start Menu path be, for any reason, not available, just navigate down through "Program Files (X86) -> Image for Windows -> V2 -> IFD" and run makedisk.exe. At least on the first try, I'd just accept the defaults for all the choices given.
Based on the post by Brian K, I guess it's at least possible that the disk created might not work on your particular system. My personal opinion is that it's still the easiest thing to try initially.
Hmm, I see now from the other thread that you may have succeeded in what you were trying, so this advice may be superfluous at this point.
Re: Value of a TBwinRE Recovery Disc
Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:24 pm
by mjnelson99
Sometimes IFL will work where IFD will not.
I found that on an old image created in Mar 2012
where I had to use IFL 2.83 to do a successful restore.
That image was only 6-8 days after the initial install of Windows 7 X64.
That seems to have solved at least some problems I was having.
Mary
On 11/2/2013 4:47 PM, Bob Coleman wrote:
> I started to put this in the recent "Creating a Recovery CD" topic (
>
> [
> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1311
> ](http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1311)
>
> ), but decided to start new rather than sidetracking that topic.
>
> Why would one want a TBWinRE recovery disc anyway? Wouldn't it be simpler to just use IFD for recovery?
>
>
Re: Value of a TBwinRE Recovery Disc
Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:27 pm
by Bob Coleman
Bob Coleman wrote:
> Side note: IFW image creation seems to take about 1.5 times as long as IFD
> image creation on my computer.
Well, I don't know the whole story here. At the moment that statement appears to be true when making an incremental backup with compression option /comp:7, but when making a full backup with compression option /comp:14. In the latter case IFW was slightly faster.