Insert media 2 containing file... a problem or not ?
Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:41 pm
I accidently deleted a file on my d: drive, and I wanted it back so I opened TBIMOUNT on the "2013-09-28-0030-D_DRIVE-.TBI"
file and received this error: "Insert media 2 containing file I:\2013-09-28-0030-D_DRIVE-.1" then after unsuccessful (OK) attempts: "Unable to open file" and "Error 6 while reading meta data from TBI file."
Here is a partial directory on my I:\ drive:
10/01/2013 02:37 AM 4,294,966,784 2013-09-28-0030-D_DRIVE-.1
10/01/2013 02:43 AM 4,294,966,784 2013-09-28-0030-D_DRIVE-.2
10/01/2013 02:46 AM 2,636,027,392 2013-09-28-0030-D_DRIVE-.3
10/01/2013 02:46 AM 4,294,966,784 2013-09-28-0030-D_DRIVE-.TBI
Here is the TBI Mount command that was used:
I:\>d:\apps\tbiview\tbimount mount * "2013-09-28-0030-D_DRIVE-.TBI" /sch i:\
I then ran both IFD and IFW to validate the 2013-09-28-0030-D_DRIVE-.TBI file, and both validations passed successfully.
I would like to get the missing file back, but do not want to try a restore for fear that some error might occur in the middle of the process, and I would loose everything. I'm also concerned that maybe a successful backup and validation does not mean that everything is well.
I should also let you know that the (base) "2013-09-28-0030-D_DRIVE-.TBI" is a combination of a base and 4 incremental files that were created on Saturdays in month 09. On the first of the month I have a process that uses the IFD image /combine process to create a new monthly base. The new monthly base was created on the 1st of October and its base name is the name of the last (Friday) incremental. That is why the file dates and names are a little confusing. The log indicates that the /combine and all other incremental processes completed successfully without error.
Any ideas why TBIVIEW and TBIMOUNT show this error, while Image.exe and imagew.exe both continue to validate without problems? Is it safe to do a restore over my existing data? Any suggestions on how to debug the problem further?
( I should let you know that a TBIMOUNT on the Friday 9/28 incremental was successful so I got my file back. This incremental file was created before the new base /combine file was created. Because this is my first test of the new /COMBINE functions, I'm a little worried about the ability to restore in the future. Because all October incrementals were based on the new 9/28 combined base, none of the October incrementals will mount/view either as it is asking for that same .1 fie to be inserted. Again, I'm worried that successful backups, combines and validates will not mount, view, and possibly restore. and if true then I loose confidence in your products. ) How can I help find the problem?
Later this day I did some additional testing. I successfully restored the file that TBIMount and TBIView could not handle. So the problem is with those products. Please feel free to move this item to a more appropriate forum, and my confidence in IDF/IFW is restored as well.
file and received this error: "Insert media 2 containing file I:\2013-09-28-0030-D_DRIVE-.1" then after unsuccessful (OK) attempts: "Unable to open file" and "Error 6 while reading meta data from TBI file."
Here is a partial directory on my I:\ drive:
10/01/2013 02:37 AM 4,294,966,784 2013-09-28-0030-D_DRIVE-.1
10/01/2013 02:43 AM 4,294,966,784 2013-09-28-0030-D_DRIVE-.2
10/01/2013 02:46 AM 2,636,027,392 2013-09-28-0030-D_DRIVE-.3
10/01/2013 02:46 AM 4,294,966,784 2013-09-28-0030-D_DRIVE-.TBI
Here is the TBI Mount command that was used:
I:\>d:\apps\tbiview\tbimount mount * "2013-09-28-0030-D_DRIVE-.TBI" /sch i:\
I then ran both IFD and IFW to validate the 2013-09-28-0030-D_DRIVE-.TBI file, and both validations passed successfully.
I would like to get the missing file back, but do not want to try a restore for fear that some error might occur in the middle of the process, and I would loose everything. I'm also concerned that maybe a successful backup and validation does not mean that everything is well.
I should also let you know that the (base) "2013-09-28-0030-D_DRIVE-.TBI" is a combination of a base and 4 incremental files that were created on Saturdays in month 09. On the first of the month I have a process that uses the IFD image /combine process to create a new monthly base. The new monthly base was created on the 1st of October and its base name is the name of the last (Friday) incremental. That is why the file dates and names are a little confusing. The log indicates that the /combine and all other incremental processes completed successfully without error.
Any ideas why TBIVIEW and TBIMOUNT show this error, while Image.exe and imagew.exe both continue to validate without problems? Is it safe to do a restore over my existing data? Any suggestions on how to debug the problem further?
( I should let you know that a TBIMOUNT on the Friday 9/28 incremental was successful so I got my file back. This incremental file was created before the new base /combine file was created. Because this is my first test of the new /COMBINE functions, I'm a little worried about the ability to restore in the future. Because all October incrementals were based on the new 9/28 combined base, none of the October incrementals will mount/view either as it is asking for that same .1 fie to be inserted. Again, I'm worried that successful backups, combines and validates will not mount, view, and possibly restore. and if true then I loose confidence in your products. ) How can I help find the problem?
Later this day I did some additional testing. I successfully restored the file that TBIMount and TBIView could not handle. So the problem is with those products. Please feel free to move this item to a more appropriate forum, and my confidence in IDF/IFW is restored as well.