Default for Restoring Whole Disk to Orig Drive: First Track
Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:39 pm
Hi,
I normally use Image for Windows in WinPE to restore a whole disk image of a Dell system with Windows XP to the same original drive. I restore using the normal option and would like to ask about the best settings to use in that scenario. Specifically, I'm wondering most about when to force recovery of theFirst Track and the Disk Signature.
My understanding is that the default is not to restore the First Track in IfW (in case someone wants to recover a partition only). However, I've also seen people say on the forum that if you select a whole drive to restore (C as the target in this case), then the first track would be recovered with the AUTO option by default. Is that correct?
I understand that the First Track restore includes the MBR/EMBR, disk signature, and boot code. Does AUTO restore that information only if it sees a difference between the image and the actual drive? Or rather does it write the whole First Track apart from the partition table if it sees any data in the image file? In the first case of only restoring when there are differences, you would only need or want to explicitly select "restore first track" to change the AUTO setting to a specific sector count if you have an unusual third-party tool occupying part of that area (I do not). Otherwise, you might want to always restore the First Track as an option.
Ultimately, I'm wondering if I should normally still restore from the known good image of the First Track even in cases where I think the current state of the drive's First Track is okay. I assume the Disk Signature would almost never change unless I altered the drive letter, but it's harder to know about the rest apart from simply seeing if the system boots.
I normally use Image for Windows in WinPE to restore a whole disk image of a Dell system with Windows XP to the same original drive. I restore using the normal option and would like to ask about the best settings to use in that scenario. Specifically, I'm wondering most about when to force recovery of theFirst Track and the Disk Signature.
My understanding is that the default is not to restore the First Track in IfW (in case someone wants to recover a partition only). However, I've also seen people say on the forum that if you select a whole drive to restore (C as the target in this case), then the first track would be recovered with the AUTO option by default. Is that correct?
I understand that the First Track restore includes the MBR/EMBR, disk signature, and boot code. Does AUTO restore that information only if it sees a difference between the image and the actual drive? Or rather does it write the whole First Track apart from the partition table if it sees any data in the image file? In the first case of only restoring when there are differences, you would only need or want to explicitly select "restore first track" to change the AUTO setting to a specific sector count if you have an unusual third-party tool occupying part of that area (I do not). Otherwise, you might want to always restore the First Track as an option.
Ultimately, I'm wondering if I should normally still restore from the known good image of the First Track even in cases where I think the current state of the drive's First Track is okay. I assume the Disk Signature would almost never change unless I altered the drive letter, but it's harder to know about the rest apart from simply seeing if the system boots.